Sunday, March 18, 2012

Skype-The New Norm When Interviewing for Freelance Writing Jobs?

I plan to do a longer piece on Elance, but for now I want to discuss a new trend I’m finding while interviewing for freelance writing jobs-the request to do a Skype interview with a potential employer. Am I the only who is slightly put off by this practice?

I had previously installed Skype since this seemed to be the norm. But now I decided to uninstall the software. I just don’t get why someone who wants to hire you for article writing or copywriting needs to speak to you face to face. I’m fine with phone interviews. I understand wanting to get a feel for the person and discuss your project expectations.



My first issue is that I work from home. This translates into many days I don’t get out of my pajamas or brush my hair until after noon. If I’m going to have to interact face to face this is going to definitely change. I also have a two year old and a five year old. I’m not completely comfortable with having to sit there and Skype while I’m at home with them. At least on the phone, I can keep an eye on them while still talking to a client.

My second problem is that you don’t know who you’re talking to. For instance, I applied for a job through Elance with a vague description of the writing duties. They requested a Skype session which I politely declined. Turns out they were an adult toy and video company looking for someone to write sex stories. Eww! Not only am I glad I didn’t Skype with them, but also thought it was pretty shady to not put in the ad they were looking for someone to write adult content.

So, there’s my mini-rant about Skype and freelance writing. I know video chats can be great. Like you know when someone’s away at war. But not seeing the point for article writing.

Heather's Elance Profile

1 comment:

  1. As a result of available running watches is without a doubt that were there organized an important rolex replica sale calendar, in accordance with ones own findings belonging to the ascending and even arranging in well lit hollywood film stars which includes Sirius and even belonging to the infrequent inundations belonging to the Earth, where ones own farming observed. That discovery in replica watches sale and even escapement method ushered with the days in handheld running watches.
    That escapement is known as a method which will manages and even rules that relaxing belonging to the sit back and watch, resulting on conversions everything that would most likely actually even be a quick relaxing, proper restricted and even tag heuer replica sale electric power give off. That escapement will do it as a result of interlocking along with a machines at a quick technique which will fuses around an important running watches is without a doubt declare, through abrupt locking within each individual close belonging to the pattern.
    That escapement moreover in the equivalent good reason releases that ticking rolex replica distinctive in foot orthotics running watches.

    ReplyDelete