Thursday, September 4, 2014

Review: MARY: The Summoning by Hillary Monahan

Goodreads Summary:

There is a right way and a wrong way to summon her.

Jess had done the research. Success requires precision: a dark room, a mirror, a candle, salt, and four teenage girls. Each of them--Jess, Shauna, Kitty, and Anna--must link hands, follow the rules . . . and never let go.

A thrilling fear spins around the room the first time Jess calls her name: "Bloody Mary. Bloody Mary. BLOODY MARY." A ripple of terror follows when a shadowy silhouette emerges through the fog, a specter trapped behind the mirror.

Once is not enough, though--at least not for Jess. Mary is called again. And again. But when their summoning circle is broken, Bloody Mary slips through the glass with a taste for revenge on her lips. As the girls struggle to escape Mary's wrath, loyalties are questioned, friendships are torn apart, and lives are forever altered.

A haunting trail of clues leads Shauna on a desperate search to uncover the legacy of Mary Worth. What she finds will change everything, but will it be enough to stop Mary--and Jess--before it's too late?

Publication Date: September 2, 2014


MARY was a great teen horror read! The book definitely reminded me of my days reading R.L. Stine and Christopher Pike. I wasn’t the target audience for the book, but I certainly still enjoyed the novel.

Bloody Mary was always an urban legend that interested me. I remember being in middle school and definitely too chickened to go into the bathroom and say Bloody Mary three times with the lights out. I thought the author did a great job of bringing back Mary into modern times.

Besides the mysteries surrounding Bloody Mary, I enjoyed the dynamic of the four friends. The girls have four very distinct personalities and there was plenty of backstabbing and drama among the friends. The girlfriends weren’t cardboard cutouts and I did appreciate the author taking the time to fully develop them.

The climax was exciting and most of all scary! I am very easily frightened, but I still thought the imagery was creepy and gory enough to give anyone nightmares. I wasn’t thrilled that the book wasn’t a standalone, but I’m hooked now and I’ll have to see how the story of Bloody Mary and Shawna and her friends conclude.

4/5 Stars

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of the novel for review!

2 comments:

  1. I don't do too many horror but great to hear the climax and creep level was great for you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love horror!!! OMG I have to go check this one out. One of my favorite genres :) Yeah, I know... Great review, Heather! Thanks sooooo much for sharing. WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete