Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Review: Those Girls by Chevy Stevens

Summary:

Chevy Stevens is back with her most powerful, emotional thriller yet— a story of survival…and revenge.

Life has never been easy for the three Campbell sisters. Jess, Courtney, and Dani live on a remote ranch in Western Canada where they work hard and try to stay out of the way of their father’s fists. One night, a fight gets out of hand and the sisters are forced to go on the run, only to get caught in an even worse nightmare when their truck breaks down in a small town. Events spiral out of control and a chance encounter with the wrong people leaves them in a horrific and desperate situation. They are left with no choice but to change their names and create new lives.

Eighteen years later, they are still trying to forget what happened that summer when one of the sisters goes missing and they are pulled back into their past.

This time there’s nowhere left to run.

As much of a thriller as it is a deep exploration of the bonds among sisters, THOSE GIRLS is an unforgettable portrait of desperation, loyalty, and evil

Publication Date: July 7, 2015
Those Girls is a tough book for me to rate. I think my main issue is that I read other novels by the author before and absolutely adored them. I don’t think Those Girls is poorly written, but for some reason I didn’t connect with the characters as much as I would have liked.

The Campbell sisters have seriously screwed-up lives. The beginning really grabbed me and I would say that portion was my favorite part of the entire book. The awful stuff that goes down between the sisters and their father really turned my stomach. And just when I thought it couldn’t get any worse, it did.

The suspense in the book kept me hooked and there were a lot of situations when I wasn’t sure if the sisters were going to make it out alive. The abuse scenes are not for the faint of heart and it was especially hard knowing all that the young girls had already endured.

Although the characters felt a little two-dimensional to me, especially the villains, I still kept reading the novel. The climax is tense and the epilogue wrapped up the story well. I would recommend the book to fans of psychological suspense with the suggestion of reading the author’s Still Missing first.

Rating: 4/5 Stars

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of the novel for review!

3 comments:

  1. I do love a good suspenseful thriller :) Thanks for sharing your amazeballs review! Gone to check it out now. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear the suspense was well done

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed Always Watching by this author and I have always planned to read more books by her. Perhaps I shall start with this one. :D

    ReplyDelete