Friday, January 1, 2016

Review: Damage Done by Amanda Panitch

Summary:

22 minutes separate Julia Vann’s before and after.

Before: Julia had a twin brother, a boyfriend, and a best friend.

After: She has a new identity, a new hometown, and memories of those twenty-two minutes that refuse to come into focus. At least, that’s what she tells the police.

Now that she’s Lucy Black, she's able to begin again. She's even getting used to the empty bedroom where her brother should be. And her fresh start has attracted the attention of one of the hottest guys in school, a boy who will do anything to protect her. But when someone much more dangerous also takes notice, Lucy's forced to confront the dark secrets she thought were safely left behind.

One thing is clear: The damage done can never be erased. It’s only just beginning. . . .

Publication Date: July 21, 2015


Damage Done was bananas! When I was done, I felt like someone put my brain in a blender for the last several hours. Honestly, I wish the description had been more compelling because I’m kicking myself for not reading the book sooner.

Julia and her family has moved away and tried to start over after a horrible school shooting in her former hometown. With her new identity as Lucy Black, she hopes to blend in at her new school and hope no one outs her as the sister of the boy held responsible for the massacre. Her unique situation definitely made me drawn to her character.

Damage Done weaves both the past and the present together in an interesting and captivating way. The author did an exceptional job of giving me just enough info to hold my interest without giving anything about the plot twist away. And the twist is a jaw dropper. I had a feeling the revelation would surprise me, but the truth left me reeling.

My only major complaint is the romance was so blah in the book that I wish that it were written out altogether. It took up way too much time and I started skimming through passages with Michael and Julia because they were just so corny. When Julia describes Michael as a dumb and sweet golden retriever, it didn’t exactly make my heart go all aflutter.

The conclusion left me with mixed feelings and it’s impossible to say why without spoiling the plot. All I will say is fans of YA thrillers should pick up this book ASAP! For a debut novel, Damage Done was amazingly well done.   

Rating: 4/5 Stars

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of the novel for review!

1 comment:

  1. I do love a good thriller :) A most excellent review, Heather! Thanks for sharing. That blurb is a little flat, huh?

    ReplyDelete