Monday, May 28, 2012

Top Books Written In The Past 10 Years That I Hope People Are StillReading In 30 Years

Today’s Top Ten Tuesday topic at the Broke and the Bookish is the top books written in the past decade that you feel people should still be reading thirty years from now. I only came up with seven books I feel are modern-day classics. Here are my thoughts:


Harry Potter series by JK Rowling

Although I’m a book nerd, you’d probably be shocked to learn that I actually never read the series. I did watch all of the movies though =) The series has made such a strong impact that I wouldn’t be surprised that people are reading them a hundred years from now no less thirty.

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

An insightful novel about a boy living in war-torn Afghanistan. This seems destined to be added to curriculums around the world.


The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

This book is so much more than simply a teenage boy investigating the death of a neighborhood dog. It’s a rare and insightful character study on how someone with autism views the world.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

This equally tragic and hopeful novel is sure to be read decades from now as individuals try to gain insight into post-9/11 America.

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

With beautiful and captivating prose, Gruen completely transports you to another time and place.

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Never before has a book sent me into a darker place. This modern-day classic explores how even the end of the world can not destroy all of the good in humanity.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith

Okay, I don’t know if this will still be read thirty years from now, but it SHOULD. Grahame-Smith’s genius has already spawned a legion of copycats.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with 1, 2, and 3; haven't read the others :p

    If you've only watched the Harry Potter films without reading the books, you are seriously missing out! The world in the books is so much richer and captivating! A real modern-day classic!

    great post!

    ReplyDelete