Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Top Ten Books That Were Totally Deceiving

The new top ten topic this week over at the Broke and the Bookish is the top novels you find deceiving. It could be the cover or the summary that threw you off. Here's my list of books that I find best fit with this distinction:

Halo by Alexandra Adornetto-I hope the cover artist got a huge paycheck because I know a ton of readers who purchased this novel based on the gorgeous cover. The book was a major letdown.

Darkest Mercy by Melissa Marr-After Wicked Lovely, I tried again and again to give this series a shot. The description of the conclusion and the gorgeous cover suckered me in again. Just never came together for me.

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher-The book summary sounded so good with praise like a “modern classic” and thrilling and addictive.” I found it implausible with no connect to the characters.

Second Helpings by Megan McCafferty-I never liked the covers for the Jessica Darling series. Although some of the novels went off-course for me, this one had me cracking up.

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin-Nice cover, but never saw how it tied into the book.

Pulse by Kailin Gow-The description sounded interesting enough and the reviews on Amazon were very positive. By the middle, it completely fell apart and then abruptly ended.

Morganville Vampires Series by Rachel Caine-The covers always seem cheesy and immature to me. The series is anything but.

Branded by Keary Taylor-Both the cover and the description drew me in. Although the premise was great and the afterlife descriptions were captivating by the end of the book I couldn’t stop rolling my eyes.

Helper12 by Jack Blaine-The book cover was completely bland, but it was an amazing and exciting dystopian YA entry.

The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson-The cover and summary didn’t really appeal to me, but I decided to give it a shot anyway. Wow is all I have to say. Not your typical damsel in distress story at all.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic list! It really is too bad Halo was so disappointing, because the cover IS GORGEOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FINALLY! Someone who feels the same as I do about the Wicked Lovely series!! Hallelujah! Covers are gorgeous, but each book just leaves more unanswered questions. Nothing pulls together. More and more character's keep being brought in and more questions arise without answers. I needed things tied up.

    ReplyDelete