Monday, February 11, 2013

Review: Boundless (Unearthly #3) by Cynthia Hand

Goodreads Summary:

The past few years have held more surprises than part-angel Clara Gardner could ever have anticipated. Yet from the dizzying highs of first love, to the agonizing low of losing someone close to her, the one thing she can no longer deny is that she was never meant to live a normal life.

Since discovering the special role she plays among the other angel-bloods, Clara has been determined to protect Tucker Avery from the evil that follows her . . . even if it means breaking both their hearts. Leaving town seems like the best option, so she’s headed back to California - and so is Christian Prescott, the irresistible boy from the vision that started her on this journey in the first place.

As Clara makes her way in a world that is frighteningly new, she discovers that the fallen angel who attacked her is watching her every move. And he’s not the only one. . . . With the battle against the Black Wings looming, Clara knows she must finally fulfill her destiny. But it won’t come without sacrifices and betrayal.

In the riveting finale of the Unearthly series, Clara must decide her fate once and for all.

Publication Date: January 22, 2013

Boundless was a satisfying end to Clara’s journey. I don’t know if it was my favorite entry in the series (that distinction belongs to Unearthly), but I was still pleased with how Hand chose to end the series.

My favorite thing about all three books is Clara. I love her character. Although some of her decisions in Boundless came off as selfish, I truly felt that her heart was in the right place. Although I love the romantic scenes, a few of my favorites for Clara in this novel were the ones with her brother. Although she has angel blood, she came across as a very normal meddling older sister. I love her goofy side too, like when she makes silly jokes to hide her nervousness.

The plot was a continuation of the other two books. Clara knows her purpose is coming and she’ll have to face down the Watchers. The bad guy was creepy in the book, but I think he should’ve been revealed sooner. When he finally comes, it felt sort of anti-climatic.

Now, like most readers, I was mainly reading this book to find out whom Clara chooses to be with. If you’ve read my other reviews, you know how wholeheartedly I am Team Tucker. There just wasn’t enough of him in this book. I felt like some shipping setup was being done to get me Team Christian. As much as he came across as such a great guy, I just still couldn’t like him because of how much I love Tucker. SPOILER ALERT I just didn’t get the point of Clara and Christian spending so much time together, then having her end up with Tucker. She should’ve been breaking the connection with him so that she could end up with Tucker without any regrets. I think it’s going to leave a lot of readers unsatisfied with the ending. END OF SPOILERS

If you haven’t checked out this YA series yet, I urge you to do so. Although the book focuses on angels, the mythology is easy to follow and there are plenty of light-hearted moments. The books are quick reads with a very likable heroine and my very dreamy book boyfriend cowboy.

Rating: 4/5 Stars

8 comments:

  1. New Follower, Follow back. (Networked blogs)

    http://nightstandnovels.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved this series and the ending. My only issue was with what you said in the spoiler. Why didn't the author take that approach with the love triangle? I always liked Christian and Tucker, almost equally, but I wish if Clara was going to go in one direction, we'd see more of that throughout this last novel instead of just at the very end. :( Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that this was a satisfying ending, I really need to get caught up. I've only read the first.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everywhere I see, people are reading this book and loving it so I'm happy to see you're the same way. And I'm glad that you love the MC so much. Characters are the greatest :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I haven't read any of this series but I think maybe I should now... You're killing my bank account but filling my Kindle :) hehe WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wait so Tucker and Clara end up together?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you sure you want to know? SPOILER ALERT!!! yes

      Delete
  7. how does tucker die and if he died how did they end up together

    ReplyDelete