Thursday, February 7, 2013

Review: The Mad Scientist's Daughter by Cassandra Rose Clarke

Goodreads Summary:

The Mad Scientist’s Daughter is the heartbreaking story of the journey from childhood to adulthood, with an intriguing science fictional twist.

There’s never been anyone - or anything - quite like Finn.

He looks, and acts human, though he has no desire to be. He was programmed to assist his owners, and performs his duties to perfection. A billion-dollar construct, his primary task is to tutor Cat.

When the government grants rights to the ever-increasing robot population, however, Finn struggles to find his place in the world.


Publication Date: January 29, 2013

This book was incredibly touching! When I read the premise I thought it sounded interesting, but I wasn’t sure how much I would buy into a romance between a human and a robot. After getting rid of my preconceptions, I immersed myself into this incredible and heartbreaking tale of falling in love with an object that no one believes has the capacity to love.

I liked the post-apocalyptic world that Clarke created. She didn’t barrage the readers with long chapters of descriptions about how androids came to be such a large part of society. Instead, the details were descriptive enough that I easily pictured the cities being rebuilt and the politics involved with giving the android population their own set of rights.

Cat as a child is very different than Cat as an adult. Cat as a kid was amazing and I loved her independence and her fierce protectiveness of Finn. I’m not sure what happened between childhood and adulthood to turn Cat into such a train wreck. I hated how she used Finn for her own personal needs. Her actions were destructive and it made me hard to cheer for her at times as a character. However, I think she found redemption at the end and it made me want a happy ending for both her and Finn.

I loved every single scene Finn was in. He didn’t come off as a cheesy cardboard cutout of what an android would look and sound like. For some of the sections, I had to remind myself that he wasn’t human. To be honest, I felt like had a stronger sense of humanity than Cat.

A few parts dragged a little bit, especially in the second half of the novel. That being said, I was still interested enough to keep reading and finished this book quickly. I was heartbroken and uplifted at times during the read. This is definitely a book that will stay with you long after you finished.

I would highly recommend this book. It’s an adult novel that follows Cat from a young girl through adulthood. Themes such as love, humanity and mortality are all touched upon over the course of the novel.

Rating: 4.5/5 Stars

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of this novel for review!

6 comments:

  1. Ah, Finn sounds great!
    I haven't heard much else about this but the world building sounds great.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a good book. thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really glad I read your review. When I first heard about this novel, I thought is was a bad setting/take on Bicentennial Man by Issac Asimov (the book, not the distorted movie). Now at least I know the author seems to have truly written her own story. ( :D )

    It is a real shame that there is such a problem with adult Cat, but I'm glad Finn comes out so well. I'm now much more interested in this story and will keep an eye out for it.
    Thanks for the good, and detailed, review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a cool book. Very well written review, also (as usual). I look forward to picking up my own copy. I read Splintered, by the way. WOW what a book! I LOVED the graphic design on the print version as well :) WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been waiting to read reviews of this one. I loved Cassandra's other novel "The Assassin's Curse" and I am so glad you enjoyed this one so much. She is a very talented writer.

    I am glad even with Finn being an android it still felt real, I can't wait to pick it up

    great review, oh and new follower :D

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds good. I love when books follow the characters for more than 1 week of their life.

    ReplyDelete