Thursday, February 14, 2013

Review: The Dead and Buried by Kim Harrington

Goodreads Summary:

A haunted house, a buried mystery, and a very angry ghost make this one unforgettable thriller.

Jade loves the house she's just moved into with her family. She doesn't even mind being the new girl at the high school: It's a fresh start, and there's that one guy with the dreamy blue eyes. . . . But then things begin happening. Strange, otherworldly things. Jade's little brother claims to see a glimmering girl in his room. Jade's jewelry gets moved around, as if by an invisible hand. Kids at school whisper behind her back like they know something she doesn't.

Soon, Jade must face an impossible fact: that her perfect house is haunted. Haunted by a ghost who's seeking not just vengeance, but the truth. The ghost of a girl who ruled Jade's school — until her untimely death last year. It's up to Jade to put the pieces together before her own life is at stake. As Jade investigates the mystery, she discovers that her new friends in town have more than a few deep, dark secrets. But is one of them a murderer?


Publication Date: January 1, 2013


This book was my equivalent to a popcorn movie. It was pure fluff, but I was left entertained. I wished the mystery aspect was stronger and I hadn’t figured out the murderer so early on, but the ghostly touches were creepy enough to keep me reading.

Jade fits into a trend that I’ve seen lately in YA books—she’s so cool because she could care less about popularity and everyone ends up loving her anyway. This trait made her likable enough, but I was more interested in the dynamic at home between her, her stepmother and her little brother. I liked how the author dealt with the difficulties of blending two families together. Jade’s relationship with her little brother was very sweet and I liked her protective instincts towards him.

The ghost story angle started off very creepy. It lost some steam in the middle, but picked up again at the end. I liked how the author portrayed the morbid curiosity of the students who wanted to come to the house where one of their classmates died. I just had a feeling someone would want to break out a Ouija board.

I wasn’t feeling the romance in the book. SPOILER ALERT Of course, Jade ends up with the annoying emo artist dude. I liked the hot popular poor kid much more. Jade was a jerk for using him and I was glad when he laid into her at the party. END OF SPOILERS

I thought the potential was there for the author to add some unexpected twists. This really didn’t happen and I think the mystery angle and climax could’ve been a little stronger. However, I was still intrigued enough to want to finish the book quickly.

If you’re looking for an easy read with a creepy ghost that wants vengeance, then you’ll enjoy The Dead and Buried.

Rating; 3/5 Stars

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of this book for review!

2 comments:

  1. Pure fluff like popcorn can be great in right circumstance, esp if kept entertained.
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well written review. Sounds like something one would read around Halloween :) WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete