Sunday, March 10, 2013

Review: The Goddess Inheritance (Goddess Test #3) by Aimee Carter

Goodreads Summary:

Love or life.
Henry or their child.
The end of her family or the end of the world.
Kate must choose.

During nine months of captivity, Kate Winters has survived a jealous goddess, a vengeful Titan and a pregnancy she never asked for. Now the Queen of the Gods wants her unborn child, and Kate can't stop her--until Cronus offers a deal.

In exchange for her loyalty and devotion, the King of the Titans will spare humanity and let Kate keep her child. Yet even if Kate agrees, he'll destroy Henry, her mother and the rest of the council. And if she refuses, Cronus will tear the world apart until every last god and mortal is dead.

With the fate of everyone she loves resting on her shoulders, Kate must do the impossible: find a way to defeat the most powerful being in existence, even if it costs her everything.

Even if it costs her eternity.


Publication Date: February 26, 2013

Another favorite YA series of mine have come to the end. Although I’m sad that the series is over, I thought Carter did a good job of concluding the tale of Henry and Kate. It wasn’t the best of the series, I feel like that distinction belongs to The Goddess Test, but I still enjoyed it.

The beginning felt a little abrupt. There was so much happening within the first few pages that it made the pacing off for me. It’s been a long time since I read the previous book, so I wouldn’t have minded a little more build-up instead of jumping right into action sequence after action sequence.

By the middle, the pacing improved and I was really drawn back into the war between the gods and the titan Cronus. There were a lot of twists as Kate and her fellow gods and goddesses attempt to stop Cronus from destroying the world. There is a ton of action in this book and not everyone comes out okay once the battle has ended.

I love the characters in the book. Henry has always been one of my all-time favorites and I continued to like him in The Goddess Inheritance. He has always seemed somewhat cold and distant and I felt like he really started to show how deeply he felt towards Kate and his son. I still liked Kate although she made a few decisions that seemed rash. However, I had to remind myself that she was still very young and her intentions were always to protect her family.

A standout in this book was James. I loved him! He was funny and flirty, providing relief from the tension in the novel. I hope there’s a spinoff series featuring him. I never felt like he was a true contender against Henry, but I have to say that this book had me falling for him.

A few issues I had were that there was a serious lack of romance and love scenes in this book. Henry and Kate were apart for most of the book, but I had hoped by the end they would have time to rekindle their spark. SPOILERS AHEAD Plus, I hated the whole Henry pretending to love Calliope thing. I understood why they thought it was necessary, but after the whole Persephone thing, it seemed a hurtful thing to do to Kate, especially since it’s never revealed if he sleeps with Calliope. The revelation that Walter was Kate’s father was kind of out of left field too since I sensed no spark between him and Kate’s mother. Another thing that bugged me is that Cronus heals Kate after having a baby, so that she looks the same exact way before pregnancy—a weird and sort of sexist addition to the plot. END OF SPOILERS

Overall, the book was a good end to the series and I’m looking forward to the author’s future works.

Rating: 4/5 Stars

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of this novel for review!

4 comments:

  1. The characters sound great and glad it was a good ending to the series. I can't wait to read it.
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love books based on mythology! I'll have to check this series out. VERY well written review, Heather! WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe the Goddess Test was my favorite book in the series as well :) I didn't like the whole Henry and Calliope thing either. And I completely agree with you. It was annoying, first off lol and cruel to Kate! Awesome review :)

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book so much! I cried a couple if times because she made me feel what Kate was feeling. Very well written. I have read the series four times and will start on my fifth time soon. Definitely recommend this book and the whole series! I hope she writes another one!

    ReplyDelete