Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Review: Mind Games by Kiersten White

Goodreads Summary:

Fia was born with flawless instincts. Her first impulse, her gut feeling, is always exactly right. Her sister, Annie, is blind to the world around her—except when her mind is gripped by strange visions of the future.

Trapped in a school that uses girls with extraordinary powers as tools for corporate espionage, Annie and Fia are forced to choose over and over between using their abilities in twisted, unthinkable ways…or risking each other’s lives by refusing to obey.

In a stunning departure from her New York Times bestselling Paranormalcy trilogy, Kiersten White delivers a slick, edgy, heartstoppingly intense psychological thriller about two sisters determined to protect each other—no matter the cost.

Publication Date: February 19, 2013


I’ve heard a few mixed things about Mind Games and it made me wary at the start. I’m pleased to say I really loved the story and I’m excited to read the author’s other books now including the popular Paranormalcy series.

Mind Games had an interesting setup: young girls with psychic abilities are being recruited for nefarious purposes. Twins Annie and Fia have their own unique powers and are being used by a company to commit crimes. In the opening scene, Fia goes against the company wishes and it puts her and her sister in danger.

I really loved the dual point of views in Mind Games. From early on, you can see Annie is the steady sister, albeit naïve, while Fia is the volatile one who is beginning to unravel. They both have a fierce love for one another and will go to great lengths to protect each other, even at the expense of their own morals and sanity.

The book jumps around in time periods and really added to the overall suspense of the story. I also liked how difficult the author made it for the reader to try and figure out who were good and bad. The one character I really hated was James, one of Fia’s love interests and I really wanted her instincts to kick in and for her to stay away from him.

The ending was great and an awesome setup for the next book. It was a quick read and once I started the book, I couldn’t stop reading. There were a lot of questions left unanswered and I can’t wait to read more about these intriguing characters.

Rating: 4.5/5 Stars


Thanks to the publisher for a copy of this novel for review!  

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this one too and can't wait to get those questions answersed

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been putting off reading this book as well because of the mixed review, but now I really want to read it again :) Your review is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely review, Heather. Sounds like an awesome book! Hopefully, the next one will be as good. :) Thanks for sharing. WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete