Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Review: Trial by Fire by Josephine Angelini

Summary:

This world is trying to kill Lily Proctor. Her life-threatening allergies keep her from enjoying experiences that others in her hometown of Salem take for granted, which is why she is determined to enjoy her first high school party with her best friend and longtime crush, Tristan. But after a humiliating incident in front of half her graduating class, Lily wishes she could just disappear.

Suddenly, Lily is in a different Salem—one overrun with horrifying creatures and ruled by powerful women called Crucibles. Strongest and cruelest of them all is Lillian . . . Lily's other self in this alternate universe.

What makes Lily weak at home is what makes her extraordinary in New Salem. In this confusing world, Lily is torn between responsibilities she can't hope to shoulder alone and a love she never expected. 


Publication Date: September 2, 2014

Trial by Fire was a solid blend of YA fantasy and romance. The beginning really grabbed me and I found it easy to sympathize with Lily. I think the author had an interesting concept and I’m intrigued to see where the series goes.

I liked the start of Trial by Fire a lot and I enjoyed not really knowing where the story was headed. I empathized with Lily’s struggles in her world and her desire to venture into a brand new place. Lily’s reactions to being thrust into a world unlike our own felt very authentic.

The world building was done well and I could vividly picture the alternate Salem that Lily finds herself in. I thought the author’s take on witches and crucibles was interesting and I found myself wanting to read more about how the magic worked. The side characters were also great and I loved how Lily and Rowan’s complicated relationship developed as they were forced to enter a shaky truce.

Just a FYI, there’s a major cliffhanger, so readers will be super eager to check out the next installment. I’d recommend the book to readers who enjoy a blend of fantasy and romance geared toward teens.

Rating: 4/5 Stars

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of the novel for review!


1 comment:

  1. Right up my road :) Awesome review, Heather! Snagging a sample :) WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete