Thursday, January 2, 2014

Review: Romancing the Duke by Tessa Dare

Goodreads Summary:

In the first in Tessa Dare's captivating Castles Ever After series, a mysterious fortress is the setting for an unlikely love . . .

As the daughter of a famed author, Isolde Ophelia Goodnight grew up on tales of brave knights and fair maidens. She never doubted romance would be in her future, too. The storybooks offered endless possibilities.

And as she grew older, Izzy crossed them off. One by one by one.

Ugly duckling turned swan?
Abducted by handsome highwayman?
Rescued from drudgery by charming prince?

No, no, and… Heh.

Now Izzy’s given up yearning for romance. She’ll settle for a roof over her head. What fairy tales are left over for an impoverished twenty-six year-old woman who’s never even been kissed?
This one.

Publication Date: January 28, 2014


I seldom read historical romances, which is funny since I tend to love them when I do. Romancing the Duke was no different and I really enjoyed the author’s humor and wit during the course of the story.

Izzy was a super protagonist and I loved her “can do” spirit. Izzy faced a lot of obstacles in her life and I loved how she never let those problems get in the way of her making the most out of any situation. Ransom was a great contrast to Izzy: dark, brooding and lonely. He tries to push Izzy away time and time again, but she never lets him bowl her over.

The best thing about Romancing the Duke was how funny it was. There were so many parts that I couldn’t stop giggling as I read. The fandom of The Goodnight Tales was a fantastic way for the author to provide comic relief. The characters definitely came across as sexually liberated for the time period, but I didn’t mind it because it helped turn up the heat between the two.

Romancing the Duke was a sweet and light read with a memorable cast of characters. The secondary characters were also wonderful with standouts that included Miss Pellham and Izzy’s pet ermine. I’m a fan of romances where characters don’t fall instantly in love with one another and I liked how the love aspect was slow building.

Highly recommend to fans of comical historical romances.

Rating: 5/5 Stars

1 comment:

  1. Oh man. Yet another one I'm gonna have to add to that backup pile. :) You're killin me :P Thanks for sharing, Heather! WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete