Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Review: Sorrow's Point by Danielle DeVor

Goodreads Summary:

Not all exorcists are created equal- especially those that are “marked”.

When defrocked ex-priest, Jimmy Holiday, agrees to help an old friend with his sick daughter, Lucy, Jimmy doesn’t expect the horrors that await him. Blackmoor, his friend’s new residence, rests upon the outskirts of the town of Sorrow’s Point. The mansion’s history of magic, mayhem, and death makes it almost a living thing – a haunted mansion straight out of Flowers in the Attic. Jimmy must decide if Lucy is only ill, or if the haunting of the house and her apparent possession is real.

After the house appears to affect him as well; seeing colors of magic when rooms of the house are warded by a witch and his voice taking on a power he doesn’t understand, Jimmy is met by a transient who tells him he has “the Mark”. Whatever being “marked” means, Jimmy doesn’t care. All he wants to do is help Lucy. Helping Lucy means performing the exorcism.

Jimmy knows the ceremony, but it's belief that matters. And if a demon is using a little girl as a meatsuit, his faith had better be strong enough to kick it back to Hell. Otherwise, he might damn them both.

Publication Date: October 15, 2013

Sorrow’s Point was probably one of the most terrifying books I’ve ever read. For me, there’s something so horrifying about innocent little kids being taken over by something dark and evil. It’s one of the reasons I consider Children of the Corn and The Exorcist the scariest movies I’ve ever seen and I was definitely reminded of the latter while reading Sorrow’s Point.

Sorrow’s Point is a book that I could easy see brought to life on screen. It just had such a movie feel to it as the tension gradually builds after the startling first chapter flashback. I liked the setup of a young girl being possessed and an ex-priest being approached to help cure her.

Characterizations were phenomenal and I had no problem picturing Jimmy and Lucy and her family in my mind. I liked how the author tied the characters together in interesting ways. I also enjoyed the switches between past and present and how the author gave subtle hints along the way about the mysteries surrounding Sorrow’s Point and the Black family.

The book is a page-turner, but definitely not for the faint of heart. There were a few chilling scenes that will leave me with nightmares for weeks. The author is one to watch and I’m going to check out her other novels available.

Rating: 5/5 Stars

1 comment:

  1. Yikers. I love a good horror novel :) I wish my TBR list weren't so full. Adding this to the backup pile just in case :) hehe Thanks for sharing this most excellent review, Heather. Nicely done. WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete