Friday, May 9, 2014

Review: Ember Island by Kimberley Freeman

Goodreads Summary:

A riveting story of secrets and scandal

1890: Orphaned as a small child, Tilly Kirkland found a loving, safe home with her grandfather in Dorset. But nineteenth-century England is an unforgiving place for a young woman with limited means and as her grandfather's health fails, it seems perfect timing that she meets Jasper Dellafore. Yet her new husband is not all he seems. Alone in the Channel Islands, Tilly finds her dream of a loving marriage is turning into a nightmare.
2012: Bestselling novelist Nina Jones is struggling with writer's block and her disappointing personal life. Nothing is quite working. After a storm damages Starwater, her house on Ember Island, she decides to stay for a while and oversee the repairs: it s a perfect excuse to leave her problems behind her on the mainland. Then Nina discovers diary pages hidden in the walls of the old home. And a mystery unravels that she is determined to solve.

Though the two women are separated by years, Starwater House will alter the course of both their lives. Nina will find that secrets never stay buried and Tilly learns that what matters most is trusting your heart.

Publication Date: April 15, 2014

I was a little nervous when I found out the novel was told in two points of view from women from two different time periods. But I ended up loving Ember Island. I loved the author’s writing style and I found myself captivated over the mysteries surrounding Tilly and Nina.

Tilly and Nina’s stories were both interesting, but I was a little more intrigued by Tilly’s story and her nightmarish relationship with Jasper. Tilly was naïve at times, but I was able to see how desperate she was to be loved and cared for. Nina has her own personal demons and tries to escape them by taking over the repairs of a dilapidated house traced back to her ancestors.

I liked the way the author tied the two stories together by having Nina find the diary left behind by her grandmother Nell. Nell was also Tilly’s charge when she took on the role of governess as a way to escape her bad marriage. Nina is intrigued by Nell’s diary and searches the walls of the house to find the missing pages.

I liked the touch of romance involving handyman single dad Joe and Nina. It was sweet and I found him an endearing love interest. There are also strong female relationships featured in the book—a plot point I always like to see.

The Australian author is new to me, but I’m eager to check out her other books. I’d highly recommend the novel to fans of historical fiction.

Rating: 4.5/5 Stars


Thanks to the publisher for a copy of the novel for review!

1 comment:

  1. Oh man... You had me at Historical Fiction :) Besides the genre, wow at the review! Very well done, Heather. I gotta go get a sample of this book now. :) WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete