Friday, June 6, 2014

Review: The Broken by Shelley Coriell

Goodreads Summary:

He took her life, but left her alive.

Three years ago, reporter Kate Johnson was the first victim—and only survivor—of the Broadcast Butcher. Scarred both physically and psychologically by the brutal serial killer, Kate lives life on the run, knowing that one day, he will find her and finish what he started.

In the pursuit of justice, you sometimes have to step outside the law.

Agent Hayden Reed spends his life chasing monsters. The only way to stay sane is to detach, but the second the Broadcast Butcher case crosses his desk, Hayden knows this is the case that might just cost him his soul. To catch this vicious murderer before he strikes again, Hayden must find Kate and earn her trust. For it's her darkest secrets that hold the key to stopping this madman once and for all . .
Publication Date: April 29, 2014

Sometimes I’m just in the mood for a good romantic suspense read and it was the reason I couldn’t wait to start The Broken. The book grabbed me from the beginning and I felt the suspense was really well done.

The Broadcast Butcher is the serial killer at the center of the novel and he was super scary. The chapters told from his POV gave me the heebie jeebies and I definitely don’t recommend reading this book before bed. Kate is one of his victims that got away while Agent Reed is determined to stop the killer.

Agent Hayden Reed was a great protag and I liked how dedicated he was to solving the case. I also found his past intriguing and I enjoyed how the author gave us tidbits along the way to slowly reveal his complicated romantic history. I liked Kate’s feistiness and her relationship as a caregiver to a disabled vet named Smokey Joe. When Kate and Hayden meet, I could feel the chemistry instantly. I did enjoy the angst of whether the characters would be able to get over their issues and get together.

The book is light on the romance and more about discovering the identity of the killer before the murderer closes in on Kate. I figured out some of the mystery early on, but there were still a few twists thrown in to keep me invested. The final third was full of a lot of action that kept me reading until I finished the book.

The Broken is a great romantic whodunit that I’d highly recommend to readers of the genre. The book is the start of a series but it looks like the next book features a new mystery and characters.

Rating: 4/5 Stars

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of the novel for review!

1 comment:

  1. I don't read the whodunits much but it does seem like a good mystery with light romance on the side.

    ReplyDelete