Monday, July 7, 2014

Review: The Sound by Sarah Alderson

Goodreads Summary:

When aspiring music journalist Ren Kingston takes a job nannying for a wealthy family on the exclusive island of Nantucket, playground for Boston's elite, she's hoping for a low-key summer reading books and blogging about bands. Boys are firmly off the agenda.

What she doesn't count on is falling in with a bunch of party-loving private school kids who are hiding some dark secrets, falling (possibly) in love with the local bad boy, and falling out with a dangerous serial killer...

Publication Date: August 1, 2013


The Sound is a YA book that I completely loved, but I definitely felt way too old to love it as much as I did. The story was a little bit cheesy, but sometimes I’m in the mood for books that I can grin throughout. There were a few tense and serious parts, but the murder mystery took a backseat to the love triangle drama.

Ren is a British nanny who spends the summer with the wealthy in Nantucket. There were a few clichés as far as how Americans were described by Ren and it did grow a little tiresome at times. But I did find her funny and I related to how she was trying to run away from a bad breakup back home and start over with new friends and new love interests.

Jesse and I had a complicated relationship through the book (I actually liked the guy who turned out to be a douche more for the majority of the novel). I just didn’t get what Ren saw in him at first especially when he basically threatened her during their initial meeting and he had put a guy in a coma the summer before (he of course had a reason for it that she finds out later. But still). But Jesse wormed his way into my heart and I ended up liking him by the last quarter of the book.

The plot of the novel really grabbed me and I found it hard to put the book down. I wanted to know all the secrets of Jesse and Ren’s new group of posh friends. There is also a nanny killer on the loose that is worked in as a subplot and I liked the suspenseful scenes that bookended the novel.

Overall, I really liked The Sound and I’m looking forward to reading more contemporaries by the author.

4/5 Stars

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of the novel for review!

2 comments:

  1. The plot sounds great, I have been thinking about reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may read this one. It's been a on my TBR pile for a while now. I would have to be in the right mood to read it since I'm not a huge fan of love triangles or too much cheese.

    ReplyDelete