Thursday, July 31, 2014

Review: You by Caroline Kepnes

Goodreads Summary:

Love hurts...

When aspiring writer Guinevere Beck strides into the East Village bookstore where Joe works, he’s instantly smitten. Beck is everything Joe has ever wanted: She’s gorgeous, tough, razor-smart, and as sexy as his wildest dreams.

Beck doesn’t know it yet, but she’s perfect for him, and soon she can’t resist her feelings for a guy who seems custom made for her. But there’s more to Joe than Beck realizes, and much more to Beck than her oh-so-perfect façade. Their mutual obsession quickly spirals into a whirlwind of deadly consequences . . .

A chilling account of unrelenting passion, Caroline Kepnes’s You is a perversely romantic thriller that’s more dangerously clever than any you’ve read before.

Publication Date: September 30, 2014


Well, that was different! I think it’s safe to say most readers will not have read anything much like You before. I was a little leery at first because of the second person narration, but Joe hooked me and I pulled an all-nighter to finish the book. You was suspenseful, funny and definitely a little on the bizarre side. But I loved it and I won’t be forgetting Joe and Beck anytime soon.

Second person narration is always tough for me. I usually end up throwing in the towel after the first few chapters. But the narrator of You was so compelling and freaking crazy I had to keep reading. Joe is the stalker of the novel and I found it incredible how I didn’t completely loathe him. He was funny! There was a lot of dark humor in the book and Joe skewers certain classes of people with exact precision. I felt horrible for laughing alongside someone so depraved, but Joe makes you believe many of his actions are almost justifiable.

Beck wasn’t the most likable character and her flaws helped make the book work. If she were this perfect young woman, then the ick factor would be a little too much for me to take. Don’t get me wrong, I definitely felt like I needed a long shower after reading, but Beck’s caustic personality made it easier to stomach some of the creepier things Joe does in his pursuit of her.

The pacing was excellent and I found so many of Joe’s diatribes hilarious. There were so many quotable lines within the book that I stopped highlighting after the first few chapters. Joe works in a bookstore and I loved the way he would come up with these outrageous connections between his life and his favorite books and movies.

The ending I guessed although I was hoping for a different outcome. But in a way the book’s conclusion fit with the overall creepy feel of the novel.  For fans of psychological suspense and thrillers, this book is a must read.

Rating: 5/5 Stars

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of the novel for review!

1 comment:

  1. Whenever you select a brand new view, your financial budget as well as individual fake audemars piguet will be 2 from the primary elements inside your ultimate decision. Nevertheless, it's also wise to spend lots of care about the best of life that you simply guide whenever selecting your view or else you can end up getting the design that you simply rue. The actual wrist watches can also be often called the actual rolex replica uk, is actually wrist watches flagship item as well as is among the number one sports activities wrist watches ever. The actual view has been doing manufacturing because 1986 with nearly fifty percent the zillion to some zillion rolex replica sale offered every year, this is among the most planet's number one sports activities view. This can influence your final decision regardless of whether you choosed to choose Law enforcement wrist watches, Homeowner wrist watches, Rotary wrist watches or even every other help to make. The actual fake rolex for sale, comes as well as tires maintain operating so long as the particular owner techniques more often than once each day. These types of tag heuer replica sale in many cases are simple to restore as well as final for several years.

    ReplyDelete