Friday, August 1, 2014

Review: Safe & Sound by T.S. Krupa

Goodreads Summary:

When Jill met Jay Greenfield she knew she had found her forever love. She was a kindergarten teacher, he was a high-powered attorney and their lives were perfect. But when a tragic accident takes Jay’s life, this young bride is left to pick up the pieces.

Jill finds herself a young widow facing multiple decisions she thought she had a lifetime to decide. With support from her childhood best friends, Lanie and Stella, Jill attempts to piece her life back together. With nightmares plaguing her dreams and the struggles of constant grief over Jay’s passing, Stella and Lanie keep near constant vigilance over her.

In the process of settling the estate, Jill learns that her husband was not quite the man she thought he was. She finds herself transported to the small beach town of Oak Island, North Carolina. But the fairy tale ending she envisioned no longer exists. She must face the reality that Jay is gone as she finds herself having a chance at love one more time.

Safe and Sound follows a yearlong journey of love, loss, friendship, and conquering the unexpected.

Publication Date: January 1, 2014

If you’re looking for a book that will break your heart, then I’d recommend Safe & Sound. What a sad story! I thought the debut author did a really great job at showing the emotions that went along with losing a spouse suddenly and at a time when their lives are just beginning together.

I usually avoid books like Safe & Sound, but I figured I would go out of my comfort zone and give it a shot. I’m glad I did. I felt a very strong connection with Jill as she went through the stages of grief. Although I was expecting a sob-fest, I appreciated the hopeful message at the core of the story.

Jill was a good lead and felt like a very easy to relate to character. Her reactions felt very authentic, especially in the scenes where she first learns about Jay’s accident and when she sees him for the last time at the hospital. Although romance comes up later in the book for Jill, I enjoyed the strong friendships she had and how her best friends help her cope.

The plot moved along at a good pace and there was plenty of conflict as Jill tries to deal with the harsh decisions that come along with losing a loved one. There was also some drama with a few friends and relatives connected to her and Jay. The romance in the second-half was a nice touch. I almost wish though it was only a start of the romance and not such a serious relationship. I think I felt this way because of the depth of Jill’s loss.

Overall, a really good debut! I can’t wait to read more from this talented new author.

Rating: 4/5 Stars

Thanks to the author for a copy of the novel for review!

2 comments:

  1. Jill sounds like a character that I can relate to

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually avoid books like that, too. I don't like book hangovers that leave me depressed. :-/ LOL! But, I may go grab the sample for this one and get a feel for the author's writing style. Great review, Heather! Thanks for sharing :) WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete