Thursday, February 12, 2015

Review: One Wish Away by Kelley Lynn

Summary:

Be careful what you wish for…

Lyra has always been ahead of the curve. Top of her class in school, a budding astronomer, and with a best friend like Darren she barely has time to miss the mother who abandoned her family years ago. She's too busy planning to follow in her father's footsteps, and to become the youngest astronomer at Space Exploration and Discovery.

When a star goes missing Lyra is determined to get to the bottom of it only to discover her braniac dad is the mastermind of a top-secret government experiment. They promise to build a perfect world, one galaxy at a time, but with every tweak of the present, a bit more of the future starts to crumble.

Lyra has to go undercover to reveal the truth and let humanity decide if the consequences are worth more than wishing on a star.

Publication Date: November 24, 2014


One Wish Away was a quick read with a mysterious premise: why are the stars in the sky starting to disappear? Lyra decides to unravel the mystery that is somehow related to her dad’s work at a scientific lab.

One Wish Away had interesting characters and I especially liked Lyra’s best friend Darren. They had a cute dynamic and I thought it was sweet the way he tries to care for his struggling family. Lyra wasn’t a bad character, but she made a few rash decisions that made me question her brainiac status.

I’m not sure I love the direction the story went in. It was way out there and I think the plot would be more appealing to a much younger audience. I just couldn’t buy into the story after the reveal. But tweens might really get into the story.

The ending left a lot of room open for a sequel. The book may not have been for me, but like I said, I’m not exactly in the ideal age range for the story. I think younger teens will have a lot of fun imagining the possibility of “wishing upon a star.”

Rating: 3/5 Stars

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of the novel for review!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for taking the time to review my work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. Sounds like a pretty nice YA story. Oh, the possibilities of wishing on a star! :) Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete