Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Review: That One Night by Josie Wright

Summary:

All it takes is just one moment to change the course of your life. For me, it was one perfect night.
I have always had a thing for my brother’s best friend, Ben. When I found him on my parents’ couch, drowning his sorrows in a whiskey bottle, my attempts to comfort him quickly turned into a night of raw and intense passion.
My foolish heart hoped he might feel the same way I do.
But Ben wasn’t there to stay and I woke up the next morning alone with a broken heart.
I attempted to forget the guy with a smile to die for and a touch that sets me on fire.
I thought I was over him.
I thought he was gone forever.
Until, eighteen months later Ben returns and learns my secret. Now, he is hell-bent on winning me back.
He plays dirty.
And he won’t stop until he gets what he wants—me.

But he has secrets of his own.
Secrets that could destroy everything we might have and everything we are.

Publication Date: July 2015


Wow, what an incredible debut! I loved That One Night hard. The characters were just so great—very far from the cookie cutter types that have a tendency to pop up in romances. The author is super talented and I can’t wait to read more of her future work.

The adjective that comes to mind when describing Frankie is ballsy. She speaks her mind and is fiercely protective of the people she cares about. She had no many great comebacks that I wished I could channel her from time to time in my own life. Frankie has been through a lot in her young life and has a very world wise quality about her.

Since the book is told in Frankie’s point of view, Ben is a bit of an enigma. I liked him a lot from the get go and I was dying to know why he ran after he spent the night with Frankie. When his secrets are eventually revealed, I was floored. I’m normally fairly good at guessing twists, but not in this case.

Although there is a ton of drama, especially in the final third of the book, That One Night is certainly a character-driven book. The author’s writing made me care about the characters and root for Ben and Frankie to get past their issues and make it work. The romance felt very real to me and I think the fact that Frankie was a young mother was very central to the plot. She made very smart decisions because of her protectiveness of her son.

Fans of contemporary romances will adore That One Night. The writing is beautiful, the sex scenes steamy and the angst off the charts.

Rating: 5/5 Stars

1 comment: