Friday, August 28, 2015

Review: Ten Thousand Skies Above You by Claudia Gray

Summary:

Ever since she used the Firebird, her parents' invention, to cross into alternate dimensions, Marguerite has caught the attention of enemies who will do anything to force her into helping them dominate the multiverse—even hurting the people she loves. She resists until her boyfriend, Paul, is attacked and his consciousness scattered across multiple dimensions.

Marguerite has no choice but to search for each splinter of Paul’s soul. The hunt sends her racing through a war-torn San Francisco, the criminal underworld of New York City, and a glittering Paris where another Marguerite hides a shocking secret. Each world brings Marguerite one step closer to rescuing Paul. But with each trial she faces, she begins to question the destiny she thought they shared. 

The second book in the Firebird trilogy, Ten Thousand Skies Above Youfeatures Claudia Gray’s lush, romantic language and smart, exciting action, and will have readers clamoring for the next book.

Publication Date: November 3, 2015


I read A Thousand Pieces of You last year and loved it. LOVED IT. I was so happy to revisit the world Gray created and reconnect with my favorite characters from the first book. Although I’m not sure I loved this book as hard, I still found myself hooked from the very first page.

I would recommend a quick reread of the first book before beginning Ten Thousand Skies Above You. I found it much easier to get invested in what was happening in all of the parallel universes that Marquerite visited. In the first book, Marguerite only visits a couple of worlds while she hops around much more in this book.

The world building was much stronger in this book. We learned more about the villain Conley’s plans as well as how many differences could be found in the parallel universes. It was interesting to read about how some worlds were practically in the dark ages while others were technologically advanced.

I liked Marguerite in this book again, but she can be a little judgey. I felt like she was pretty harsh to both Theo and Paul at times, especially in regards to making them feel responsible for acts committed by their parallel selves. I was a huge Paul fan from the first book, and I hold onto my crush steadfastly, so I wasn’t thrilled with the love triangle aspect. But I was happy that Marguerite seemed to grow throughout the book and realize her mistakes.

The ending was crazy!!! I was bowled over and I am so excited to read the next book. I wish it was coming out tomorrow. Fans of YA time-traveling romances will adore this series.

Rating: 4.5/5 Stars

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of the novel for review!

3 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed the first but def don't have time for reread, too sad. Great to hear that you enjoyed though

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOoh very nice! Can't wait to read this one!! LOVED ATPOY and I just seriously look forward to seeing how things will play out in this one! Glad it was good! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So is it time travel or parallel universes? I'm funcused. Not hard right now, because I need more coffee, but those are very different things, no? Glad you got hold of one you loved :) Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete