Friday, August 7, 2015

Review: Someone Out There by Catherine Hunt

Summary:

A debut psychological thriller with a twisting story of obsession, revenge and deceit.

Top divorce lawyer, Laura Maxwell, appears to have it all – perfect career, perfect husband, perfect life. But how well do you really know the people around you? All it takes is one tiny crack to shatter the whole façade.

A series of accidents leads Laura to believe that someone out there is deliberately trying to harm her. The fear starts to pervade every part of her life, affecting her work and her marriage. Increasingly, she feels that no one believes her story, and she must face down her attacker alone. One woman, fighting to survive in a nightmare world.

Publication Date: May 21, 2015


Someone Out There was a good mystery/psychological thriller. It took me a bit to get into, but once I got to the meat of the story I was hooked. The tension is slow building, but I thought the climax was very exciting and I couldn’t guess what direction the story was going in.

I did like the main character Laura and I felt for her as all these terrible things start to happen. I felt for her as she tried to do the right thing by her clients and to protect them from horrible situations (i.e. domestic violence, loss of parental rights, etc.). The secondary characters were good too and I liked that the reader got more than just Laura’s point of view.

The twist wasn’t easy to spot and really brought the story together for me. There are several red herrings that the author uses to keep readers guessing. The ending was fairly good although I would have liked a bit more closure.

I would recommend Someone Out There to fans of adult suspense novels. I think the author did a terrific job on her debut novel and I look forward to future books.

Rating: 4/5 Stars

Thanks to the publisher for a copy for review!

2 comments:

  1. Laura's character and the suspense sounds nice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic review. Debuts are either hit or miss, huh? I love suspense, so I'll be checking this one's sample out for sure :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete