Friday, October 23, 2015

Review: The Escape by Hannah Jayne

Summary:

When two boys walk into the woods, and one comes out covered in blood, what would you believe?

Fletcher and Adam venture into the woods for an afternoon hike, but when day turns into night and neither boy returns, their town is thrown into turmoil. Avery, the detective's daughter, is the one to find Fletcher—dishelved, disoriented, and covered in blood. He has no memory of what happened, but Avery can't shake the feeling that something's off. When Adam's body is finally found, Avery is determined to uncover the truth. But if she stands by her gut, and Fletcher, is she standing by a friend, or a murderer? The answer might cost her her life.

Publication Date: July 7, 2015


This was a very okay read for me. I didn’t particularly love the book, nor did I despite it. There was a solid mystery to figure out and the suspense was well done, but I didn’t particularly like the conclusion. Also, the character development didn’t always mesh well for me.

I thought the beginning of the book started off with a bang. The scenes in the woods were expertly written and I loved the descriptive language the author used. I felt like I was right alongside the characters as they fought for their lives. I had hundreds of theories over what could have happened to the boys from them witnessing a drug deal gone bad to a supernatural attack by a Big Foot creature. Suffice it to say I was wrong on both accounts and what actually happened left me annoyed over the red herrings placed in the book.

Avery was an okay character and I actually liked her more in the beginning of the book than in the latter chapters. Instead of insta-love, she has a case of insta-friendship with Fletcher that didn’t make much sense. There isn’t a romance, but I couldn’t understand why she was so set on believing his innocence when she barely knew him. Fletcher had his ups and downs for me in the book, but I at least could make sense of most of his actions.

The pacing was well done until the conclusion. It felt very rushed and I didn’t feel as much resolution as I had hoped. I also didn’t feel as much suspense as I had in the opening chapters.

Overall, a good, quick teen thriller that is a perfect rainy day read.

Rating: 3/5 Stars

Thanks to the publisher for a copy for review!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful review, Heather. Sorry it missed the mark a little. Don't you just hate that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Continually you should definitely homework extra to the look and feel with every hublot replica sale style and design concerning precise benefits to observe in advance of shopping for. Though it is definitely perceived this the caliber of the second fretting hand cartier replica uk won't compare with the fresh of your exact unit marketing promotions campaigns as compared with none of them and also to some extent your synthetic version. Try to remember the reasoning is definitely dressed in a strong adornment originating from a popular chanel replica sale plus then your Made use of Rolex is rather all right provided it may possibly continue to reciprocate the dollars devoted to order them. Other than building so extra pressure-proof when measure a elapsed time frame plus ordinary quickness using some sport activity styles, you'll find it makes a touch of training to your look at. A person lacks to undertake a pros education around hermes replica sale crafting to publish your special posting over the internet.

    ReplyDelete