Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Review: Switched by Cassie Mae

Goodreads Summary:

Ever since high school, Kayla has been crazy for gorgeous football player Talon. But before she could muster the courage to tell him, he became a hot item with her beautiful BFF, Reagan. The only person who knows Kayla’s secret is Wesley, Talon’s best bud—and he’s got it bad for Reagan. Now they’re all in college together, hanging out 24/7. For Kayla, seeing the two lovebirds together is absolutely unbearable. So Kayla and Wesley hatch a plot to drive them apart before Talon has a chance to give Reagan the Christmas gift she’s been waiting for.Soon enough, the once happy couple is fighting. Reagan suddenly can’t get enough of Wesley’s goofy sense of humor, and Talon seems to be paying more attention to Kayla than a guy who’s “only a friend” ever should. But just when everything seems to be falling into place, Kayla and Wesley accidentally spend a night together and discover a hitch in their plan they never considered: that switching partners may not lead to a perfect ending after all.

Publication Date: December 2, 2013


I hadn’t planned to read Switched so quickly, but after reading the premise, it sounded like the perfect guilty pleasure book. I have such a thing for books about characters who don’t like each other at first but end up falling for one another. Switched didn’t disappoint and I absolutely LOVED it.

At first, I wasn’t sure how I would feel about Kayla and Wesley trying to break up their friends. But their efforts were mostly innocent and it seemed clear that neither would make a move unless they had blessings from both Talon and Reagan. Although the friends don’t like each other at first, feelings start to develop after they plot together to switch romantic partners.

Kayla was lovable and earnest and I really loved the story from her POV. I loved the funny/awkward moments between her and the guys. I adored Wesley, like so much that he’s my new book boyfriend. I love romantic interests like him. He’s not a billionaire CEO or a NFL quarterback, but he’s sweet and funny. Before this book, I never thought a guy smelling like gummy bears could be so freaking cute.

The pacing was good and I stayed up late to finish it. I had to know what guy Kayla was going to end up with! Characterization was well done and despite the first person POV, all of the characters came to life for me.

If you’re in the mood for a sweet and fun read, I’d highly recommend Switched. It’s a standalone and although there are a few sexy scenes (nothing graphic), it would still be a good pick for older teens along with adults. 

Rating: 5/5 Stars


Thanks to the publisher for a copy of this novel for review!

2 comments:

  1. I like the sound of Kayla, and think I would enjoy reading about her

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love finding diamonds :) Very nicely written review, Heather! Thanks for sharing. Glad to see you've found a new BB :) WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete