Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Review: A Terrible Love by Marata Eros


Goodreads Summary:


Jess Mackey is living a meticulously fabricated lie of necessity. She's left the secret tragedy of her past behind along with who she was and is forging ahead with a clean slate. But Jess soon discovers that passion can't be left behind—neither her own, nor that of the one man who sees who she really is…and whose unexpected presence may breach the peaceful life Jess has painstakingly created for herself.

Devin Castile didn’t expect to meet a young woman who may be the missing puzzle piece to his existence…and who is also the victim of a heinous crime. Devin convinces himself that he can remain emotionally distant even while indulging his physical desire for her. But when Jess’s lies begin to crumble in the face of their undeniable attraction and the truth is revealed, one of them might pay with their life.

Publication Date: April 26, 2013


I really liked the start of this book, but along the way it lost some of its luster. I couldn’t connect with the main characters at all and I felt like the murder mystery plot became too over the top. It’s not a bad read, but just not really my cup of tea.

Jess was likable in the beginning and I really loved how the author started off the story. I was drawn into the plot of Jess trying to hide in plain sight and her terror over the murderous intentions of her stepbrother. I liked the ballet angle as well and I really found myself learning about what it takes to be a dancer.

After Jess meets bad boy Cas, I started to dislike the book. It was the start of an annoying love triangle with Mitch being the “safe” choice and Cas being the “obvious” choice. I just didn’t understand her reasoning for dating both and her wishy washy behavior. Cas and Jess had strong sexual chemistry, but I just didn’t feel the love aspect. Also, he talked about f*cking her way too soon. It’s a bit of a pet peeve when male characters start talking dirty with the heroine after they barely know each other.

There were some twists, but I figured them out very early. The final scenes are ripe with tension and the book ended strongly. A Terrible Love is filled with drama and readers will definitely be biting their nails as Jess’s past threatens to catch up with her.

Rating: 3/5 Stars


Thanks to the publisher for a copy of this novel for review!

1 comment:

  1. I think the trouble with twists is that the author plots them out before hand. If you leave the book to its own devices, twists can't be predicted by the reader because they're a surprise to the author. What surprises us, will surprise them! :) Lovely review, Heather. WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete