Monday, March 31, 2014

Review: The Truth About Alice by Jennifer Mathieu

Goodreads Summary:
Everyone has a lot to say about Alice Franklin, and it’s stopped mattering whether it’s true. The rumors started at a party when Alice supposedly had sex with two guys in one night. When school starts everyone almost forgets about Alice until one of those guys, super-popular Brandon, dies in a car wreck that was allegedly all Alice’s fault. Now the only friend she has is a boy who may be the only other person who knows the truth, but is too afraid to admit it. Told from the perspectives of popular girl Elaine, football star Josh, former outcast Kelsie, and shy genius Kurt, we see how everyone has a motive to bring – and keep – Alice down.

Publication Date: June 3, 2014

The Truth About Alice pulled me in with its setup: four different points of view are used to tell the story of teen Alice and the rumors surrounding her. I liked how each character’s unique personality added something different to the story. It was also clever to use the last chapter to finally hear Alice’s point of view.

When multiple points of view are used in a book, it’s difficult for the characters to become fully developed. Although I didn’t feel like I totally got to know a few of the characters, I found most of them relatable. Teen stereotypes are used somewhat as part of the characterizations, but I didn’t find it as irritable as I usually do.

My favorite characters were Kurt, Alice and Kelsie. Kurt was adorable and I loved how despite being considered the weird nerd in the school, he was still confident and not afraid to be his own person. Kelsie is the polar opposite, she’s very unsure of herself, but I still empathized with her. Alice’s fierce personality made her both admired and loathed.

The bullying plot was realistic and I did feel for Alice. Alice isn’t ostracized overnight, it becomes a gradual thing, the process long and drawn out. The book was a quick read and I couldn’t believe how I read through it in one sitting. The one thing I was disappointed in was I kept waiting for a big twist. Nothing happened that left me truly shocked and I almost wish the book started before the party and before Brandon’s death and not after.

The Truth About Alice was a standout debut and I definitely imagine hearing a lot of buzz about the book as the release date nears. A lot of readers will be able to identify with Alice and love her developing relationship with Kurt.

Rating: 4/5 Stars

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of the novel for review!

4 comments:

  1. I've been eyeing this book and I think I want to check it out. It sounds really good and the characters seem interesting. Great review :)

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kurt does sound adorable and the debut is something that I should check out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my... This sounds AWESOME. What a fantastic review, Heather! Putting this on my TBR. I love books that make you think :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this basically sums up this story. I choose to believe that Elaine, Kelsie, and Josh saw the errors of their way and lived differently. What I know is that words carry unbelievable power to hurt. And it's a hurt that can't be undone. But Alice's experience taught her an invaluable lesson about what's important in life.

    ReplyDelete