Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Review: He's Come Undone by Theresa Weir

Goodreads Summary:

This HEA story is a deep, dark, sexy, funny, and emotional read.

Penniless and behind on rent, college student and once famous child actress Ellie Barlow takes on the role of a lifetime when she's hired by a group of young women to break the heart of the campus player who cruelly dumped them.

Transformed from slob slacker to jaw-dropping beauty, Ellie is dressed, styled, bleached and waxed, her chunky glasses exchanged for violet contacts. Along with physical prepping, she's coached on Julian's obsessions, which include long-distance running, Doctor Who, and J.D. Salinger.
In no time, Julian is in pursuit of his custom-made next victim, but when Ellie goes off script and begins to fall for her target the newest broken heart in this risky game could be her own.

Publication Date: March 1, 2014


Wow, this book was completely unexpected. From the blurb, I thought it would be more of a reformed playboy type of romance. Although there are lighthearted moments in the first half, the book takes a darker turn in the second half.

Ellie was very likable. I wouldn’t normally root for a heroine who takes money to fool a heartbreaker, but it worked. I liked how she was at her lowest point when she meets Julian, but she still has an unbreakable spirit. She never complained about the hand life dealt her, but instead tried to find ways out of the mess.

I thought Julian would be horrid. But I really liked him and my heart broke from him once it was revealed all he had endured. His past redeemed his actions against the women he dumped before meeting Ellie.

The first half had some laugh out loud moments. But there was also major chemistry between Julian and Ellie. So much angst happened between the pages, but the break-ups and make-ups felt believable. There were a few super intense scenes between them and this was one book where I was unsure if they would get their happily ever after.

He’s Come Undone had a lot of heat and the sex scenes were pretty off the charts. They were a little sad too because of how desperate Julian seems to be to use physical connections to erase his pain.

The second half had some very dark moments and I wouldn’t recommend the book if you’re looking for a sweet, candy-like contemporary romance. I enjoyed both parts of the novel and I did speed read through it. This is the second book I’ve read by the author and I definitely enjoy her work.

Rating: 4/5 Stars


Thanks to the publisher for a copy of the novel for review!

1 comment:

  1. This blurb reads like a movie :) Great review, Heather. While I'm not into romance, I'm feeling like I should check this book out. Haha WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete