Monday, April 7, 2014

Review: Awaking by Madeline Freeman

Goodreads Summary:

Morgan Abbey’s life is about to change.

Just weeks before her senior year is set to begin, a mysterious stranger approaches Morgan with information that has far-reaching ramifications. First, the psychic ability she believes she has just been pretending to have since middle school might actually be real.

Second, her mother, who disappeared abruptly and completely almost a decade ago, might still be alive.

Morgan finds herself in the drawn into a centuries-old struggle involving a group of people who quietly coexist alongside the common people of the world. This shadowy group believes it is time for them to reclaim their former positions of power—and they believe Morgan is the key.

But when the time comes, will Morgan be able to do what it takes to reunite with her mother and fulfill her destiny?

Publication Date: August 10, 2011


Awaking was a quick and easy read that I thoroughly enjoyed. I liked the main characters and found the secondary characters all well developed. It was a solid series starter with an introduction to the supernatural world that the author created.

I found all the characters interesting with my favorites being Morgan and Corbin. Morgan was a good main character and I was happy to find her accept her place among the Naturals fairly quickly. Corbin was a sweetheart and I’m hoping he turns out to be Morgan’s love interest in subsequent books.

The plot moved at a good pace, but I was hoping for a bit more conflict. There were a few action scenes at the very end of the novel, but I didn’t really feel much suspense in the book. The novel was more of an introduction of the Naturals and how Morgan and her friends fit into the world.

World building was done well and I didn’t feel lost when getting a handle on the mythology. I found it a little predictable at times, especially when it came to figuring out who the bad guys were. I wished Morgan had been a little less trusting, but I empathized with her drive to find out what happened to her mother. Her mom had disappeared years earlier without a trace.

The romance was just touched upon with several possible love interests. I was a fan of Corbin, but it seemed like a spark was also there between Morgan and Lucas. However, it didn’t feel like the start of an annoying love triangle though.

Overall, I really liked Awaking and I’m curious to see what happens next in the series.

Rating: 4/5 Stars


Thanks to the publisher for a copy of the novel for review!

3 comments:

  1. The wordl building sounds great, but sorry there was a bit of lack of conflict

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fast paced and easy reads, but I would like a book with a bit more conflict. I love books that involve mythology and this sounds like an interesting story. Great review!

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adore the cover for this book. It makes me want to take it home and love on it. :) Wonderful, concise review, Heather. I saw this on your TBR list not to long ago and was curious if the story lived up to the cover :) Thanks for sharing. WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete