Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Review: Dissonance by Erica O'Rourke

Summary:

Some decisions have unimaginable consequences.

Every time someone makes a choice, a new parallel world is spun off the existing one. Eating breakfast or skipping it, sneaking out instead of staying in bed—every decision creates an alternate universe in which an Echo self takes the road not travelled. As a Walker who can navigate between these realities, Del is training to help keep the dimensions in harmony.

When Del secretly starts to investigate other dissonant worlds, she get tangled up with an Echo of her longtime crush. She knows she shouldn't keep seeing him. But as Del persists, she uncovers a truth that the Council of Walkers is trying to hide—a secret that threatens the entire multiverse.

Publication Date: July 22, 2014


I liked Dissonance a lot, but I wonder if I would’ve liked it more if I hadn’t read so many books lately with similar plots. I think the author did a good job and I do feel like if I liked the romance more, I would’ve been more invested in the story.

The plot moved at a good pace and the reader is thrown into the action immediately. I didn’t totally love how technical the first half became when discussing how certain gifted people could move through parallel worlds. I felt like it slowed down the book a bit and made my interest wane.

I liked the main character and I found her relatable. I thought her relationship with Simon was sweet at first, but the back and forth between them was a little tiresome. I did enjoy her relationship with her grandfather. I always enjoy a lovable old crazy grandparent in YA books that turn out to be the voice of reason.

What I liked most about the book was the different worlds Del traveled to. I thought it was fun to read about the differences and how the splits had occurred. It was especially interesting to see Del’s interactions with the alternates in the parallel worlds.

Fans of YA books with a mix of romance and sci-fi would likely enjoy Dissonance.

Rating: 4/5 Stars

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of the novel for review!

2 comments:

  1. OOh nice review! I recently added this to my TBR Mountain of Doom in September! I was actually at an author signing where she was one of them, read the book description and sounded intrigued! And alas, it still waits to be read! sounds like it might be a bit confusing for me in the beginning--as science and I have never been BFFs!--but hoping to enjoy it all the same! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful review. I haven't read a lot of books with parallel universes lately :( I need to go pick one up. haha! Thanks for sharing. WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete