Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Review: The Devil Made Me Do It by Shawna Romkey

Summary:

Book Two in the Speak of the Devil series

The demons strike back!

Lily is working with the angels to stifle the last of the demon outbreaks and to figure out how to stop the Silence of God, so life can get back to boring normality. But all hell breaks loose when she’s stolen from school and brought face to face with the devil himself. Lily has to find her way back home to Luc, crack the prophecy that breaks the curse silencing God, and figure out how she and Luc can ever really be together. But Lucifer has other plans for her that don’t include her ever getting out of Hell intact.

Publication Date: June 15, 2015


If I could sum up The Devil Made Me Do It in one word I’d choose fun. The characters are super likable and the plot moves at a pace that never leaves the reader bored. I adored Lily and Luc and I immediately got sucked back into the plot that started in the first book Speak of the Devil.

I haven’t been reading a lot of YA books lately and Romkey’s novel was a reminder of why I always go back to the genre. I love the sweet romance depicted in YA books and Luc and Lily were such a cute couple. Luc is just so earnest and protective that I was swooning while reading. Not that Lily needed protecting all the time since she has a strong side to her personality as well.

The heaven and hell mythology in the series is unique and I liked the author’s spin on angels, demons and the devil himself. All of the characters in the book, even the bad guys, have so many layers to their personality. The characterizations and world building seemed improved over the book’s predecessor.

YA paranormal romance fans should definitely check out the series. I wouldn’t necessarily say The Devil Made Me Do It could be read as a standalone, so I would suggest starting with Speak of the Devil. There is a cliffhanger ending in the second book, but it will sure make everyone super eager as I am to read the next installment.

Rating: 5/5 Stars

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of the novel for review!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome review, Heather. Sounds like a fantastic YA read. Thanks for sharing! WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read much angels and demons lately, but intrigued

    ReplyDelete