Monday, July 27, 2015

Review: DIscovery by Brina Courney

Summary:

Discoveries can be dangerous. Discoveries can be deadly.

Nine months ago, Teagan Matthews' boyfriend disappeared and took her sense of stability with him. But when the opportunity to live with her aging grandmother in Salem arises, she decides it's time to get on with her life. A new home, new job, and new friends are adding up to a beautiful summer...

...until a young girl's body shows up one night in town, wearing a pentagram necklace exactly like Teagan's.

Now a guy looking remarkably like her missing boyfriend has arrived in Salem along with a mysterious stranger who may have some answers that Teagan has desperately been searching for. Teagan must now decide who to trust. It's a matter of life... and her death.

Publication Date: October 16, 2013


Discovery was a fun and witchy read! I love witch books and I thought it was a nice touch that the story took place in Salem. The book was a little slow to start, but picked up about halfway through.

Teagan is a likeble character and I found her easy to connect with. She didn’t use her head all the time, but I felt like her sometimes lack of common sense made her more relatable and I didn’t feel annoyed that she was Little Miss Perfect.

I liked the secondary characters too and the romance was sweet. I did think the book was YA though because the characters and plotline seemed more targeted to the younger crowd. I was surprised to find out that the characters were in their twenties.

There were a few dialect quirks that put me off a little bit. I think that’s just a personal reading preference though. Otherwise, the writing was solid and I did feel excitement, especially during the prologue and conclusion. I’d be interested in checking out another one of the author’s books.

Rating: 3.5/5 Stars

Thanks to the publisher for a copy for review!

2 comments:

  1. Killer review! I think, when a writer attempts to market to a younger crowd, those writers tend to leave out true human behavior of older characters to keep the prose cleaner. What do you think? Glad you found a book you enjoyed :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love characters like these and the sweet romance

    ReplyDelete