Sunday, January 13, 2013

Review: Through the Ever Night (Under the Never Sky #2) by Veronica Rossi


Goodreads Summary:

It's been months since Aria last saw Perry. Months since Perry was named Blood Lord of the Tides, and Aria was charged with an impossible mission. Now, finally, they are about to be reunited. But their reunion is far from perfect. The Tides don't take kindly to Aria, a former Dweller. And with the worsening Aether storms threatening the tribe's precarious existence, Aria begins to fear that leaving Perry behind might be the only way to save them both.

Threatened by false friends, hidden enemies, and powerful temptations, Aria and Perry wonder, Can their love survive through the ever night?

In this second book in her spellbinding Under the Never Sky trilogy, Veronica Rossi combines fantasy and dystopian elements to create a captivating love story as perilous as it is unforgettable.


Publication Date: January 8, 2013

This sequel to Under the Never Sky was absolutely amazing! After this book, this series has probably earned the title of my favorite YA dystopian reads. Rossi got everything right in this book: the characters, the world building, the romance and the conflict were all written expertly.

To be honest, it took me a little while to get into the first book. It was good, but I had read so many other dystopians around that time, the book kind of got lost in the mix. However, this wasn’t the case with Through the Ever Night. The book grabbed me from the beginning and didn’t let go until I finished.

Rossi’s talent lies in how she’s able to make the reader feel connected to her characters, even though they’re from a completely foreign world. I love Perry, Aria and Roar. The characters’ emotions jump off of the page without the work getting bogged down in angsty inner monologues. The relationships between the characters feel real and the emotions aren’t forced merely to move the plot along.

Perry and Aria are probably one of my top five favorite book couples. Their interactions were amazing and it was obvious how much love they have for one another. Each was willing to make sacrifices for the other and I love the portrayal of such a beautiful and selfless love. My second favorite relationship was the friendship that developed between Roar and Aria. I love Roar! My heart broke for him as he set off to have Liv returned home to the Tides.

The plot moved at a great pace. There’s plenty of action and a lot of suspense in the book, especially the scenes with Sable at his compound. Sable was a great villain and I think he was even scarier than Hess. I enjoyed how readers were always kept guessing at the intentions of the characters and was never sure who was good and who was bad.

The world building was just as well done as the first book. I can easily picture the Aether and the world’s desperation to find the Still Blue. What I liked about this book was that it explored more about how the outsiders lived and how their tribes survived without the assistance of the pods.

I loved how many of the politics of Aria and Perry’s world could be applied to any society. The hatred between the “savages” and “dwellers” is obvious and it’s easy to sympathize with the difficulties that Aria and Perry face as a couple coming from two different factions.

Go and read this series! Five stars are not enough to demonstrate my love for this book. I can’t wait for the final installment! It’s going to be a long wait for 2014 =(

Rating: 5/5 Stars!!!

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of this book for review!

3 comments:

  1. I am SO EXCITED for this book! I absolutely adored UTNS and your review made me even more determined to read it as soon as my copy comes in!! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this series yet, but sounds like I should.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. A most excellent review. 5 out of 5, eh? Looks like I'll be checking it out :) WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete