Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Review: The Trouble With Fate by Leigh Evans



Goodreads Summary:

My name is Hedi Peacock and I have a secret. I’m not human, and I have the pointy Fae ears and Were inner-bitch to prove it. As fairy tales go, my childhood was damn near perfect, all fur and magic until a werewolf killed my father and the Fae executed my mother. I’ve never forgiven either side. Especially Robson Trowbridge. He was a part-time werewolf, a full-time bastard, and the first and only boy I ever loved. That is, until he became the prime suspect in my father’s death…

Today I’m a half-breed barista working at a fancy coffee house, living with my loopy Aunt Lou and a temperamental amulet named Merry, and wondering where in the world I’m going in life. A pretty normal existence, considering. But when a pack of Weres decides to kidnap my aunt and force me to steal another amulet, the only one who can help me is the last person I ever thought I’d turn to: Robson Trowbridge. And he’s as annoyingly beautiful as I remember. That’s the trouble with fate: Sometimes it barks. Other times it bites. And the rest of the time it just breaks your heart. Again…

Publication Date: December 24, 2012

The main thing that this book had going for it was that the plot was very unique. The characters were sort of crazy and not very likable, but they kept me interested enough to keep reading. I think the series has plenty of potential and if some of the issues are resolved, it could end up being an addictive read.

Even though the story is told from Hedi’s POV, I found it hard to connect with her. She’s a thief and makes rash decisions without using her head. When she can’t deal, she taps into her inner Were bitch and lets her take control. I eventually grew to like her attitude and I felt like she came into her own by the end. I’d be curious to see how she evolves in future books because of what happens at the conclusion.

The pacing was a little off for me. I felt some parts there was a ton of action going on and then other sections seemed like endless info dumps. It took me awhile to read this book because I found myself getting bored or confused. It was easy to get lost and I had to go back several pages to re-read and figure out what the heck was going on. Once the novel hits its stride though (probably the last 30 percent of the novel), I was on the edge of my seat. There were a few scenes that were particularly harrowing and probably not for the faint of heart.

The romance was kind of all over the place. Trowbridge seemed creeped out by Hedi and kept her referring to as a kid during the first half of the novel. He seemed bent on ditching her and the attraction came off as very one-sided. I was definitely surprised how quickly he ended up declaring her as his “mate.” And the sex scene in the book was one of the weirdest I ever read.

The secondary characters were really great. I loved the amulet Merry! I loved how the author was really able to show how Merry communicated without ever having to use words. Cordelia was another fun character and she had a few of my favorite lines in the book.

Despite the few problems I had, The Trouble With Fate was entertaining and I’ll probably read the next installment. The ending left a few things opened and I liked to see how things are resolved.

Rating: 3.5/5 Stars

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of this book for review!

1 comment:

  1. A well written review. I hate having to back up and double-check what I read. Bleh. I don't know how you didn't throw it. I've been known to do that with tangible books; my e-reader, way too breakable :) WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete