Monday, December 29, 2014

Review: The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson

Summary:

From the author of the acclaimed The Girl with a Clock for a Heart--hailed by the Washington Post as crime fiction's best first novel of 2014"--a devious tale of psychological suspense involving sex, deception, and an accidental encounter that leads to murder that is a modern reimagining of Patricia Highsmith's classic Strangers on a Train.

On a night flight from London to Boston, Ted Severson meets the stunning and mysterious Lily Kintner. Sharing one too many martinis, the strangers begin to play a game of truth, revealing very intimate details about themselves. Ted talks about his marriage that's going stale and his wife Miranda, who he's sure is cheating on him. Ted and his wife were a mismatch from the start--he the rich businessman, she the artistic free spirit--a contrast that once inflamed their passion, but has now become a cliche.

But their game turns a little darker when Ted jokes that he could kill Miranda for what she's done. Lily, without missing a beat, says calmly, "I'd like to help." After all, some people are the kind worth killing, like a lying, stinking, cheating spouse. . . .

Back in Boston, Ted and Lily's twisted bond grows stronger as they begin to plot Miranda's demise. But there are a few things about Lily's past that she hasn't shared with Ted, namely her experience in the art and craft of murder, a journey that began in her very precocious youth.

Suddenly these co-conspirators are embroiled in a chilling game of cat-and-mouse, one they both cannot survive . . . with a shrewd and very determined detective on their tail.

Publication Date: January 6, 2015


The Kind Worth Killing was an incredible read! I haven’t picked up a good thriller in a long time and this book cured my reading slump. There were so many great twists that I didn’t see coming. I need to check out if the author has any more books released as soon as humanly possible.

The synopsis makes the plot of the book sound straightforward enough and I love that I went into the book with totally different expectations. I was completely blown away by just how complicated things become between Lily, Ted and Miranda. I’m usually pretty good at guessing plot twists, but the author totally threw me off my game.

There are no “true” good guys in the book. However, the author was still able to make me feel a connection with each narrator and allow me a glimpse into his or her twisted mind. There are multiple narrators in the novel, which can sometimes annoy me, but really worked with this story.

Pacing was fantastic and the writing was crisp which I appreciate for suspense novels. And normally I often find the conclusions of psychological suspense novels not very satisfying, but I loved the way the author ended The Kind Worth Killing. Honestly, I can’t recommend this book enough.

Rating: 5/5 Stars

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of the novel for review!

2 comments:

  1. The existance of the gray in regards to good/bad guys sounds well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap. Now I have to go buy it. Gah! For you to go bananas tells me it must be reallllly good. LOL! Thanks for sharing (but my wallet hates ya). ;)

    ReplyDelete