Friday, December 12, 2014

Review: Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

Summary:

The poverty stricken Reds are commoners, living under the rule of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.

To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from The Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.

Mare finds herself working in the Silver Palace, at the centre of
those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.

But power is a dangerous game. And in this world divided by blood, who will win?

Publication Date: February 10, 2015


This book has a lot of buzz surrounding it, so I was very excited to read an advanced copy. And I wasn’t disappointed. The Red Queen was a mash up of some of my favorite YA reads (The Selection, Divergent, Shatter Me, etc) and I found myself drawn into Mare’s complex world.

I think the author built her story on a simple, but strong foundation: the non-magical are being persecuted and exploited by the magical beings in Mare’s world. Mare cares about her family deeply and steals in order to help them survive the harsh conditions of the kingdom. But when Mare is thrust into the world of the Silvers, she discovers her own magical abilities.

The world building was done well and I found the rules of the Silvers and Reds easy to follow. I thought Mare was an admirable character, but she had a few moments where her rash actions were really thoughtless to those around her. I also felt like she could be very hypocritical at times and find ways to justify her own deplorable actions while judging others harshly.

I actually liked the secondary characters much more than Mare. I especially enjoyed reading about the two princes and their complex relationship with each other. I really loved Cal and there is a love triangle in the book between the brothers and Mare. Mare didn’t seem to have much of an emotional connection with anyone, so the romance took a bit of a backseat.

There were some great twists in the book and the last quarter of the book was a definite page-turner. The ending had me so eager to check out the next book. Can’t wait to see where the story goes!

Rating: 4.5/5 Stars  

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of the novel for review!

3 comments:

  1. Well the smash up books are ones I like so now I am very interested

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review. I wish I had time to check this one out LOL! Gah! Reader problems. I wanna read all the books! As a side note, I'm doing an interview with the author of Cinder (you wrote a review of this book last year, I believe) the first week of January for utopYA. Why do I mention it? Because I wouldn't know anything about that book if not for you and your reviews :) EEP! Thanks for doing what you do. WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Android mobile phone Men's Naval Switzerland Quartz Chronograph Steel Diamond omega replica watches. Bring out your inner sailor with the latest offering from the Naval collection. The round silver tone case has geometrically placed prongs located around the metal ring bezel to give it the appearance of the rolex replica uk of a ship. The switch of this watch is available in either burgundy or purple. It features gold-tone listing indicators at odd hour positions and Arabic numerals at the evens. A silver-tone steel diamond fits this watch safely to your arm. Set travel with this longines replica sale from the Naval collection. Android mobile phone Men's Silverjet-2 Limited Edition Automatic Steel Diamond Watch. This solid watch from Android mobile phone is ideal for wearing to a special occasion or an important business meeting. You can purchase it with a gold-tone, silver-tone or black case. The steel diamond will match accordingly. Luminous listing indicators represent the hour positions around the case. One of the most exciting features of this watch is the cutout date wheel that orbits around and is visible through cutouts on hublot replica sale side of the watch. At 3: 00 there is a red triangle and black box that indicate the date. The Silverjet-2 will do wonders to enhance your style profile. These are just some of the dozens of dynamic styles that Android mobile phone has to offer cartier replica sale. Take the time to pick out the right option for your look and personality.

    ReplyDelete