Monday, December 1, 2014

Review: On the Fence by Kasie West

Summary:

For sixteen-year-old Charlotte Reynolds, aka Charlie, being raised by a single dad and three older brothers has its perks. She can outrun, outscore, and outwit every boy she knows—including her longtime neighbor and honorary fourth brother, Braden. But when it comes to being a girl, Charlie doesn't know the first thing about anything. So when she starts working at chichi boutique to pay off a speeding ticket, she finds herself in a strange new world of makeup, lacy skirts, and BeDazzlers. Even stranger, she's spending time with a boy who has never seen her tear it up in a pickup game.

To cope with the stress of faking her way through this new reality, Charlie seeks late-night refuge in her backyard, talking out her problems with Braden by the fence that separates them. But their Fence Chats can't solve Charlie's biggest problem: she's falling for Braden. Hard. She knows what it means to go for the win, but if spilling her secret means losing him for good, the stakes just got too high.

Publication Date: July 1, 2014


I am turning into quite the Kasie West fangirl. I just love how I end up grinning while reading her books. They are never too heavy and I love how sweet each romance is in her novels. On the Fence was no different and I really enjoyed Charlie and Braden’s relationship.

I loved Charlie, especially since I rarely read about too many tomboys in YA literature. She was such a cool girl—it was easy to imagine being her best friend. Although the book does deal with some serious topics, specifically the death of Charlie’s mom, there was enough light moments to chase away the dark.

I thought the setup for the romance with Braden was very sweet. Charlie has a lot of insecurities about her crush on Braden and I hated how unsure she became about herself. I loved how Charlie grew in the novel and how she learned to love who she was and not who she thought Braden would want.

If you’re looking for a go-to YA writer, then I’d highly recommend Kasie West. Although Pivot Point still holds the crown for my favorite book by her, On the Fence was another great read.

Rating: 4.5/5 Stars

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of the novel for review!

5 comments:

  1. I have yet to read something by West that I didn't like. I always look forward to her books. I think Pivot Point is still my favorite of hers as well, but I really did love The Distance Between Us. I'm glad you liked On The Fence. It made me smile as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review, Heather. Sounds like a sweet romance :) WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i liked charlie and the sweet romance as well

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Future Will Be Full Of Surprises When You Obtain The Goods Of Chanel.Any time shopping for replica handbags online, the actual solo most things it is critical to appearance for will probably be company logo when using the Chanel. Each one knows the louis vuitton replica should under the nice daily maintenance, if you get a channel bag, you ought to treat it nicely.Though Coco Chanel died for a long time. It is ever-lasting and it has become the mulberry replica most famed brand in the world. The typical logo of double C will not out of date and it will guide the fashion eternally.

    ReplyDelete