Thursday, December 11, 2014

Review: Perfection by J.L. Spelbring

Summary:

The personification of Aryan purity, Ellyssa's spent her whole life under her creator's strict training and guidance; her purpose is to eradicate inferior beings. She was genetically engineered to be the perfect soldier: strong, intelligent, unemotional, and telepathic.
Only Ellyssa isn't perfect. 

Ellyssa feels emotions--a fact she's spent her life concealing. Until she encounters the epitome of inferiority: a dark-haired boy raised among renegades hiding since the Nazis won the war a century ago. He speaks to her telepathically, pushing thoughts into her mind, despite the impossibility of such a substandard person having psychic abilities.
But he does.

His unspoken words and visions of a place she's never visited make Ellyssa question her creator. Confused and afraid her secret will be discovered, Ellyssa runs away, embarking on a journey where she discovers there is more to her than perfection.

Publication Date: July 16, 2013


Perfection was a book that I was happy I stuck with. The beginning started with a lot of action and it was a little jarring for me. I would’ve preferred a little more build-up so I could become fully invested with Elyssa’s plight. But once I got more background on the story, I enjoyed the story much more.

Perfection was told in third-person and it allowed for the reader to get a complete picture of the world Elyssa was born into. I thought the alternate history idea was intriguing (an Aryan race rules with genetic modification methods utilized to ensure “perfection.”). However, I would’ve liked more world building to understand the historical significance.

I liked the romance, although I would’ve thought there would be more development in the area. But I believe there’s a sequel already released, so I imagine there will be a lot more attention paid to Rein and Elyssa’s relationship.

The plot was good and I liked how Elyssa could really kick butt. No helpless heroine in this YA novel. The rebel faction really elevated the plot for me.

Overall, Perfection is a very unique YA series starter with a memorable heroine who is fighting against a corrupt government.

Rating: 4/5 Stars

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of the novel for review!

1 comment:

  1. Oh man. I love strong women as MCs :) Wonderful review. I would never have picked this book up because I'm not fond of the cover. haha! Thanks for sharing. WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete