Friday, December 5, 2014

Review: The Winter People by Rebekah L. Purdy

Summary:

An engrossing, complex, romantic fantasy perfect for fans of Kristin Cashore or Maggie Stiefvater, set in a wholly unique world.

Salome Montgomery fears winter—the cold, the snow, the ice, but most of all, the frozen pond she fell through as a child. Haunted by the voices and images of the strange beings that pulled her to safety, she hasn't forgotten their warning to "stay away." For eleven years, she has avoided the winter woods, the pond, and the darkness that lurks nearby. But when failing health takes her grandparents to Arizona, she is left in charge of maintaining their estate. This includes the "special gifts" that must be left at the back of the property.
 


Salome discovers she’s a key player in a world she’s tried for years to avoid. At the center of this world is the strange and beautiful Nevin, who she finds trespassing on her family’s property. Cursed with dark secrets and knowledge of the creatures in the woods, his interactions with Salome take her life in a new direction. A direction where she'll have to decide between her longtime crush Colton, who could cure her fear of winter. Or Nevin who, along with an appointed bodyguard, Gareth, protects her from the darkness that swirls in the snowy backdrop. An evil that, given the chance, will kill her.

Publication Date: September 2, 2014


I loved the premise of The Winter People! I never read a book before with a similar plot and I was really drawn into the atmospheric tale featuring the creepy wintry creatures that live in the woods behind the house of Salome’s grandparents. I definitely enjoyed the suspense so much more than Salome’s romantic complications.

Salome wasn’t a bad lead for the book and I liked her character development. At the beginning of the novel, she seemed to need saving way too much for my liking. However, she toughened up by the end and I could root for her.

The plot was suspenseful and the opening really drew me into the story. I couldn’t quite figure out what was going on being her grandparents’ house and who the creatures calling out to her were. The descriptive writing was very well done and I loved the wintry backdrop for the majority of the novel.

I don’t mind love triangles all the time, but with three romantic interests for Salome, the romance aspect of The Winter People became annoying. Especially since Salome seemed so wishy washy about the guys in her life. Plus, with three guys, it was almost impossible to have them fully developed as characters.

Overall, I liked The Winter People, but I would’ve preferred a stronger female lead with a simpler love life.

Rating: 3.5/5 Stars


Thanks to the publisher for a copy of the novel for review!

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow, 3 interests? Thats a bit much I think

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this too and had to keep reading to the end so I could figure out what was happening! LOL I was very intrigued by this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous review, Heather :) Sorry it fell a little flat, but I can see what you mean about it being a unique read. WRITE ON! :)

    ReplyDelete