Friday, April 17, 2015

Review: After We Fall by Emma Kavanagh

Summary:

A moody, intense debut psychological thriller by a former police psychologist, this debut novel explores four lives that fall apart in the tense aftermath of a plane crash, perfect for fans of Tana French, S. J. Watson, and Alice LaPlante. Unraveling what holds these four together is a tense, taut tale about good people who make bad decisions that ultimately threaten to destroy them. Debut author Emma Kavanagh deftly weaves together the stories of those who lost someone or something of themselves in one tragic incident, exploring how swiftly everything we know can come crashing down.

Publication Date: June 2, 2015

I loved the premise of this book! I was so curious to see how the stories on the ground would relate to the people on the doomed flight. The thing I enjoyed most about the story was the way the author interwove seemingly unrelated events together.

The characters were a mixed bag. I think my biggest issue was with Cecilia. As a mom myself, I just couldn’t find myself relating to her decision to abandon her child. Despite my dislike of her, I did find her and the other narrators characterized in a believable way.

The suspense was what kept me reading. I really needed to discover the mysteries surrounding the plane crash and the murder. I loved how the author kept me guessing on where she was taking the story.

The pace was good, but I did wish for the narrative to be a little clearer on the tenses. I found myself going back several times to determine whether the narrator was talking about the present or the past. Too many narrators can sometimes irritate me, but I found it worked well for After We Fall.

Overall, a good and complex story about flawed characters.  

Rating: 3.5/5 Stars

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of the novel for review!

2 comments:

  1. At present lots of sino-based synthetic version shopping bags dealers will be starting out deliver louis vuitton replica sale global. One can find haul baggage inside of a huge selection with layouts by way of example nylon, canvas, fabric, fake set plus suede. However the asking price of these creator replica watches sale likely have you actually gasping to get flow of air, there's a simple subdued different, your synthetic version some may be just simply the right formula! A number of classy hublot replica sale will be priced reasonably, having said that to be able to shell out major money to have remarkable name brand in that case there are plenty of solutions. Your designed travelling bag by using ground breaking illustrations or photos fake louis vuitton your special proclamation. Stainless steel cloths is going to allow for your artwork being a superb get noticed. They're able to hold up against every degree of fretting hand plus arm tension quite easily. Lots of excursion louis vuitton replica uk opt to apply all these baggage because of hardiness plus resilience.

    ReplyDelete