Monday, April 20, 2015

Review: Sweet by Emmy Laybourne

Summary:

*People would kill to be thin.*

Solu’s luxurious celebrity-filled “Cruise to Lose” is billed as “the biggest cruise since the Titanic,” and if the new diet sweetener works as promised—dropping five percent of a person’s body weight in just days—it really could be the answer to the world’s obesity problem. But Laurel is starting to regret accepting her friend Viv’s invitation. She’s already completely embarrassed herself in front of celebrity host, Tom Forelli (otherwise known as the hottest guy ever!) and she’s too seasick to even try the sweetener. And that’s before Viv and all the other passengers start acting really strange.

*But will they die for it, too?*

Tom Forelli knows that he should be grateful for this job and the opportunity to shed his childhood “Baby Tom-Tom” image. His publicists have even set up a ‘romance’ with a sexy reality star. But as things on the ship start to get a bit wild, he finds himself drawn to a different girl. And when his celebrity hosting gig turns into an expose on the shocking side effects of Solu, it’s Laurel that he’s determined to save.

Publication Date: June 2015


This was a strange little book. Definitely not something I ever read before! I give the author major kudos for originality. I did find Sweet an interesting book, but the twist made the overall tone of the novel feel uneven.

The beginning of the book fooled me into thinking I was getting into a book about a teen cruise with characters dealing with body image issues. Tom and Laurel have a sort of meet-awkward-cute and they both have their reasons for avoiding Solu, the diet sweetener intended to make you lose weight fast. Tom and Laurel instead get to witness what happens to everyone who gets addicted to Solu.

The second half of the book is very B movie schlocky so I wasn’t a huge fan. I probably wouldn’t have minded the twist, but after the light tone of the first half, it just didn’t fit. I almost felt like I was reading two different books.

Not a bad teen horror read and I did like the overall message of self-acceptance. The characters were also very relatable.

Rating: 3/5 Stars

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of the novel for review!


4 comments:

  1. You see, I love B movie kind of stuff. I think I'll enjoy it. It does sounds very original!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad that it switched what the focus was and the ending wasn't a good fit

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHA! I love that you used the term schlocky :) Wonderful review. I hate that you didn't enjoy it all, but originality is good, right? WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one just intrigues me all around. I have an ARC and I plan to read it soonish. It does sound very unique at least!

    ReplyDelete