Thursday, August 9, 2012

Review: The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong


Goodreads Summary:

Chloe Saunders is fifteen and would love to be normal. Unfortunately, Chloe happens to be a genetically engineered necromancer who can raise the dead without even trying. She and her equally gifted (or should that be 'cursed'?) friends are now running for their lives from the evil corporation that created them.

As if that's not enough, Chloe is struggling with her feelings for Simon, a sweet-tempered sorcerer, and his brother Derek, a not so sweet-tempered werewolf. And she has a horrible feeling she's leaning towards the werewolf...

Definitely not normal.


Wow is all I have to say. It's been awhile since I've been this into a series. I literally went from one book to the next and finished the trilogy within a few days. I really loved the storyline and Chloe Saunders and Derek Souza are officially on my list for all-time favorite book characters.

The Reckoning brought everything together that's been building in the previous two Darkest Powers books. The big showdown with the Edison Group takes place, but not before several betrayals and attacks on the lives of our beloved supernaturals. Several scenes were so chilling that I felt myself getting freaked out as I read late at night. Royce especially scared me and my skin crawled every time he showed up.
  
(Spoiler Alert) A resolution was finally reached between the triangle of Simon, Derek and Chloe. I think werewolf romance stories can be a hard sell. Who could really be attracted to basically an overgrown dog? But for some crazy reason, it works in this series. Derek has so many swoon-worthy moments when it comes to his relationship with Chloe. One of my favorite scenes is when he made her go into the overgrowth to protect her from the other werewolves. And their almost kiss moments made the final scenes all the more amazing. ***

There were a couple of unanswered questions at the end, but it looks like some of the Darkest Powers characters are supposed to pop up in the Darkness Rising series. I've added the first book to my TBR pile and I hope it's as good as this series!

Rating: 5/5 Stars  

3 comments:

  1. Heather, you're killing me! I've been reading all your reviews for this trilogy, and its making me wanna read them again for the 10000th time, while I already have all these others to read! ): Haha.
    Glad you liked them though, they're one of my all time favs <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this one yet or the series, really does sound like a good read. Thanks for popping over to our weekly book blog hop, now following you xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, okay!! I'm gonna check it out!! Sold! LOL! READ ON!

    ReplyDelete