Thursday, December 26, 2013

Review: Cheating on Myself by Erin Downing

Goodreads Summary:

What happens when good enough just isn't enough anymore?

Stella Dahl assumed her life was as good as it was ever going to get. But after twelve years with a man who’s more a habit than husband material, she walks out on her bland existence, determined to start over. Goaded by her friends and a group of crass retirees she befriends at water aerobics, Stella plunges back into the dating pool. After a few false starts, she meets Joe, the sexy banjo player in a popular children’s band. He’s cocky, a smirking flirt, and a musician...everything she’s *not* looking for in a guy. Even still, she begins to fall — hard.

Just when Stella is beginning to think she could find true happiness, a family tragedy turns her world upside down. As she tries to hold together everything that’s crumbling around her, Stella starts slipping back into old habits — and away from Joe. Soon, she begins to wonder: Is she really destined for anything more than a life that’s good enough?

For fans of Jennifer Weiner and Kristan Higgins, CHEATING ON MYSELF is a touching, laugh-out-loud romantic comedy about starting over and finding your happily ever after

Publication Date: October 2, 2013
I really enjoyed Cheating on Myself more than I expected. The premise didn’t sound like something I would really be into, but I’ve read another book by the author so I decided to give it a shot. I’m glad I did because I found it to be a fun romantic comedy about discovering yourself for the first time in years.

The setup was simple enough. Stella finally decides she’s had enough of a dead-end relationship. She works for a marketing firm and she’s been in a relationship with a corporate guy. It was fun to see her step out of her comfort zone and go for a member of a children’s band. Her relationship with Joe leads to some funny laugh out loud moments.

The workplace drama and dynamics were a little dull for me, but that’s more of a personal preference. Otherwise, I liked how Stella grew as a character and decided to stop trying to mold herself into the perfect woman for a man who would never commit. Stella was exasperating at times, but her sense of humor and wit made me cheer for her over the course of the novel.

I would recommend this read for lovers of contemporary romances with humor. It was a quick read for me and I would definitely read another book by the author.

Rating: 4/5 Stars

I received a copy of this novel from the author for review.

2 comments:

  1. The humor aspect def intrigues me and so does the title

    ReplyDelete
  2. And what a well written review it is. Gotta love it when your favorite authors don't let you down :) WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete