Friday, February 20, 2015

Review: The Creeping by Alexandra Sirowy

Summary:

Twelve years ago Stella and Jeanie vanished while picking strawberries. Stella returned minutes later, with no memory of what happened. Jeanie was never seen or heard from again.

Now Stella is seventeen, and she's over it. She's the lucky one who survived, and sure, the case is still cloaked in mystery—and it's her small town's ugly legacy—but Stella is focused on the coming summer. She's got a great best friend, a hookup with an irresistibly crooked smile, and two months of beach days stretching out before her.

Then along comes a corpse, a little girl who washes up in an ancient cemetery after a mudslide, and who has red hair just like Jeanie did. Suddenly memories of that haunting day begin to return, and when Stella discovers that other red-headed girls have gone missing as well, she begins to suspect that something sinister is at work.

And before the summer ends, Stella will learn the hard way that if you hunt for monsters, you will find them.

Publication Date: August 18, 2015


In the end, I liked The Creeping much more than I expected to. This is a book where I would tell readers to keep reading because the plot gets so much better as the story goes on. By mid-point, I felt myself getting super spooked by the plot.

The Creeping is unique because I liked not knowing exactly if the evil lurking in Stella’s town was real or imaginary. Even by the end, I wasn’t one hundred percent certain who the true monsters were. The pace felt a little slow in the first few chapters, but picked up tremendously as the mysteries started unraveling.

Stella grew on me as the story progressed. Her and her friends were a little annoying at first, but Stella eventually becomes a character I could root for. I think my feelings for her changed once the romance between her and Sam blossomed. I loved the two of them as a couple.

Although the romance was sweet, I definitely was more into the mystery of Janie. I thought I had it all figured out, but the author threw a curveball at the end. I love when an author surprises the reader completely.

Fans of YA mysteries with a touch of horror will definitely like The Creeping.

Rating: 4/5 Stars

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of the novel for review!

3 comments:

  1. Haven't heard much about this one but the unique twist and the plot that gets better as it goes sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cover creeps me out!! I don't usually read really creepy stories, I'm not good with horror/scary things, so I may skip this one. It does sound intriguing tho and I'm glad you liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. *waves hands* I'm a fan of YA Mysteries with horror intertwined :) I must add this to my wish list. LOL! Very nicely written review. Thanks for sharing! WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete