Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Review: The Samantha Project by Stephanie Karpinske

Goodreads Summary:

Samantha was seventeen when she finally learned the truth about herself; that she’s part of a corporation’s top secret genetic enhancement project. They told her she was the only one who survived the experiments. But then she meets Erik. He was raised in a lab until a scientist took him and hid him so nobody would ever find him. But Samantha and Erik somehow found each other. They share a indescribable connection that neither one of them can explain.

Their enhanced genes give them special abilities, like the ability to read minds and communicate with their thoughts. Even with their powers, they’re not safe. The people who are after them will never stop looking. But the more imminent danger is something that lies deep within their cells. It’s just one of many secrets they have yet to discover about themselves.

Publication Date: December 19, 2012


The Samantha Project was a good read with interesting sci-fi themes and a very likable protagonist. Although Samantha was created in a lab, she felt like a very real teen girl. I liked reading the story from her perspective as she unravels the mysteries about her past.

Samantha is introduced as a very normal good girl with the perfect boyfriend and family. Since her life comes off as so perfect, the reader can suspect that something is going to happen to take it all way. As Samantha is faced with the truth about her origins, she decides to fight back against the people trying to control her. Although she came off as naïve at times, I liked her bravery.

The secondary characters were well done. I loved Samantha’s football star boyfriend Colin. He was so sweet! It did get me mad when Erik came into the picture. I feel like he was introduced too late in the game for me to feel like he was a good romantic match for Samantha, especially since I was already preparing for Colin to become my new book boyfriend. The villain in the story could have been characterized a little better and came off as a little too unbelievable.

The second half of the novel is much better than the first. The pacing was very slow in the beginning and I felt myself losing interest. I’m glad I kept up with the book though because the last fifty percent was much more exciting. Once the bad guys start making a move to go after Sam, I couldn’t put the book down.

Overall, The Samantha Project is a good sci-fi book for young adults. This is the first in the series with the sequel already released. I would be interested in reading in continuing the series, especially if there’s more Colin.

Rating: 3.5/5 Stars

Thanks to ATOMR Tours for providing a copy of this book for review!

No comments:

Post a Comment