Friday, April 12, 2013

The Disappearing Girl Excerpt


Hey everyone! Today I'm sharing an excerpt from my upcoming The Disappearing Girl. I'm still going through edits, so keep in mind that this is a rough draft =) The book will be released in May. 

My form felt heavy as I got up from the sofa. If everyone claimed that I was so thin, why did I feel so weighed down? My feet shuffled behind Cameron as he led me over to the table.
The table was beautifully set. He had lit a single white taper candle and placed it between our place settings. A filled wine glass was next to a plate piled with steaming hot pasta smothered in marinara sauce with meatballs. Any girl would be thrilled to find that her boyfriend had gone to the trouble to be romantic. I was far from any girl.
I felt myself growing irate as I collapsed into the chair. I wasn’t sure why he couldn't understand that I was trying to avoid fatty foods. Instead of supporting my efforts, my friends and family seemed out to undermine everything I’d done to better myself.
Cameron ate silently for several minutes. My dinner lay untouched and I felt time slow down as I waited for him to finish. I wasn’t going to be bullied into eating when food was the last thing I wanted inside of my body.
His eyes turned cold as he stared at me. “What are you doing? Why haven’t you started eating?”
I was a petulant child. Refusing to eat, despite the promises the food in front of me would make me healthy again. I pressed my lips together in a tighter line and crossed my arms over my chest.
Cameron’s temper was building. I could feel the tension in the air. He was showing restraint when all he probably wanted to do was to scream at me for my irrational behavior. His voice was strained. “Kayla, you’ve been here all day and you haven’t eaten a thing…”
My expression was deadly as we locked gazes. “When the hell did it become everyone’s business whether or not I eat? Last time I checked, it was my body.”
I could tell what he was thinking by the way his features twisted. This wasn’t me. This wasn’t the quiet and meek girl he had been dating. This girl was bitter and wanted to unleash her rage on those around her.

5 comments:

  1. This sounds like a very emotional book, I can't wait to read it next month

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree that this sounds like an emotional read. It has me very intrigued by what Kayla will go through and the development :)

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the cover and the excerpt. SOunds powerful and that a big change is brewing in Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great excerpt! Thanks! This book sounds sooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The excerpt reads very well, Heather. Seems like it's a powerful story. Good luck with the launch. WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete