Thursday, April 18, 2013

Review: Silencing Breath by Joanne Brothwell


Goodreads Summary:

Silencing Breath, book two in the Stealing Breath series.
Just as Sarah Ross is learning everything she can about her new abilities as an Indigo Child and settling into a normal life with her beloved Evan, her entire world shatters when Evan disappears without a trace.

Desperate to find him, Sarah’s search leads her to a sadistic serial killer who confirms her worst fears are true; Evan has been kidnapped, and he is once again in the clutches of his abusive family of necromancers.

Sarah uncovers not only Evan's dark past he tried so desperately to protect her from, but also The Key of Solomon, an ancient text for summoning the dead.

Knowing her abilities are limited in the face of this ancient power, Sarah is forced to face the Malandanti in order to save him. However, one question remains: once he is found, will Evan be the same man she fell in love with?

Publication Date: March 15, 2013


This was a dark and intense read, much more so than the first book in the series Stealing Breath. In this novel, it is four years after the events of the first novel and Sarah and Evan are still in love and living together. Evan makes only a short appearance before his reincarnated father and his brother Stefano abduct him.

The story is told in dual POVs (Sarah in first person and Stefano in third person). This is the second time I’ve seen a writer do this lately and I think the author pulled it off well. For me personally, I would’ve found the constant switching difficult to do. Honestly, I think I preferred Stefano’s chapters, I found him to be such an intriguing character.

The characters were all well developed. Stefano really grows as a character and I liked Alex as a new addition to the series. However, I really missed Evan in this book. Since he was such a favorite of mine from the first book, it was tough to read what he goes through while in the evil clutches of Stefano and his dad.

Silencing Breath is DARK. There are a few scenes that were really tough to read, especially for me since I’m squeamish. The author has a talent for gritty descriptions and this was one of the few books lately to scare the pants off of me. There’s everything from human sacrifice, necromancy, skinwalking and torture. Plan to sleep with the lights on if you read Silencing Breath.

The book leaves off on a cliffhanger and I’m anxious to get my hands on the next installment. This is one of the most creative paranormal series I’ve read and I hope Sarah’s Indigo powers continue to develop along with her relationships.

Rating: 4/5 Stars

Thanks to the author for providing a copy of this novel for my honest review!  


1 comment: