Monday, September 23, 2013

Review: Bound by Night by Larissa Ione

Bound by Night (MoonBound Clan Vampires, #1)Bound by Night by Larissa Ione

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Goodreads Summary:

The first installment in a sexy new paranormal romance series by Larissa Ione, author of the bestselling Demonica series!

A WOMAN OUT FOR BLOOD
Nicole Martin was only eight years old when the vampire slaves rose up in rebellion and killed her family. Now she devotes her life to finding a vaccine against vampirism, hoping to wipe out her memories—along with every bloodsucker on the planet. But there’s one thing she cannot destroy: her searing, undeniable attraction for the one man she should hate and fear the most . . .

A VAMPIRE OUT FOR REVENGE
A member of the renegade vampire MoonBound Clan, Riker is haunted by demons of his own. When he recognizes Nicole and remembers how her family enslaved his loved ones, his heart burns for vengeance. But when he kidnaps Nicole and holds her in a secret lair, his mortal enemy becomes his soul obsession, his greatest temptation, and, perhaps, his only salvation—a hot-blooded lover who could heal him with her touch . . . or bury him forever.

Publication Date: September 24, 2013

This was my first Larissa Ione book and overall I really liked it. I enjoyed her writing style and I found myself completely invested in the story. The romance was hot and I thought the main characters had good chemistry.
The premise was a little hard to buy into. I could see the government using vampires as medical test subjects (a la the latest season of True Blood) but the slavery angle didn’t make much sense. Why would humans or vampires think it could work out when vampires have superhuman strength and speed? A rebellion of course happens and the main character Nicole’s family is decimated.

Nicole was a frustrating character and for a doctor she could be pretty dense. However, I emphasized with her confused feelings regarding vampires and her family’s role in their subjugation. Riker was stubborn and a pretty standard alpha-male vampire. I thought his relationship with Terese and her son gave him a lot of depth. I liked the love/hate relationship between Riker and Nicole. The hurdles they had to face to be together felt real and not simply added drama for the story. I honestly didn’t know if they could have a happy ending.

The plot had plenty of action and a few super sexy scenes with Riker and Nicole. This definitely wasn’t an insta-love relationship and it took a lot for them to trust each other. I liked how despite their differences, they couldn’t fight their growing attraction.

This was a good series starter and I will likely pick up the subsequent book once it’s released. The secondary characters that were great, an especial favorite was Myne, and I hope the sequel features him.

Rating: 4/5 Stars

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of this book for review!

View all my reviews

3 comments:

  1. Even though main character was frustrating at times the action sounds well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it wasn't insta love, but main characters can be hit or miss for me. But at least you enjoyed the book which is what matters :) Great review!

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not so into vampire books. I think one I read a while back left me with a bad taste in my mouth (no pun intended) and caused me to lose my interest in them. I dunno... Sorry the setup wasn't believable (totally get that and hate it) but you wrote a wonderful review, Heather :) Thanks for sharing. WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete