Thursday, September 12, 2013

Review: Chasing Memories by Tia Silverthorne Bach

Goodreads Summary:

There isn’t another way; not now. The others are coming. I can’t let them have you…

Seventeen-year-old Reagan has a problem: She can’t remember what happened the night her brother was taken. Now, the dreams haunting her from the incident are becoming more intense by the day. All the while, the lines between what’s real and what’s a product of her paranormal-obsessed mind are becoming blurred.

Is she losing her mind or has she just stepped into a world she thought only existed in books?

Caught in a web of worried parents, competing boys, Wiccan relatives, protective amulets, and psychiatrist babble, Reagan must determine the truth before it’s too late.

Publication Date: June 10, 2013


Chasing Memories was a heart-pounding and suspenseful read. It surprised me in so many ways and for the longest time, I couldn’t figure out where the story was headed. Fans of YA paranormal reads will really enjoy this book!

I had a love/hate relationship with Reagan. Sometimes, I wished I had the ability to reach into books and shake some sense into characters. However, she was a very realistic teen character and I thought the author portrayed the thoughts and dialogues of teens in a very honest way. Her emotions were up and down, but she was still a sympathetic character.

The plot started off with plenty of action as Reagan and her brother are attacked at their campsite. Reagan survives, but her brother is presumed dead. Reagan has nightmares about the attack, but never fully remembers what took place. The book follows Reagan as she tries to unravel the mystery and also as she’s introduced to the world of the paranormal—most notably werewolves and witches.

Reagan has two love interests: Dex and Rafe. Unfortunately, both came across as psychopaths. Dex only wants to use her sexually and Rafe is a creeper who tries to get her drunk and lure her out into the woods. Luckily enough, a new guy made an appearance in the third act and it sounds like he’s a much better match.

The pacing was good and I finished the book quickly. The only complaint I have is that I wished the end resolved more. However, it is a series and I do plan to read the next one.


Rating: 4.5/5 Stars

3 comments:

  1. Sounds good except the not quite resolution

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy you loved the book, Heather! Tia is an awesome author and I can't wait to get my hands on book two because of that cliffhanger :) Very nicely done review. WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the amazing review, Heather. And I promise Reagan will grow in books 2 and 3, and you'll be proud of the strong woman she becomes. I have three daughters myself (13, 11 & 8), and I want to shake sense into them constantly yet I'm so impressed with their overall strength and good hearts.

    Sharing!!

    ReplyDelete