Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Top Ten Books That Make You Think

On today's Top Ten Tuesday, the Broke and the Bookish is asking what books made you think (about the world, people, life and so on). Here is the top books that came to mind when I read the topic (in no particular order).


 My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult-Although I don’t love every Picoult book, I think she does have a knack for tackling topics that make you take a closer look at your feelings about issues such as genetic planning, adoption and the death penalty.

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee-Yes, I was the geek quoting this book after reading for Freshman English.
 
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon-I’ve probably talked about how much I love this book. My son is being screened for Asperger’s and this book really changes your perspective on autism.

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingslover-The story of an Evangelical minister and his family trying to fit in post-colonial Africa is eye-opening.

Columbine by Dave Cullen-This was probably one of the most terrifying books I ever read. I was horrified over the type of violence children are capable of.  

Speechless by Hannah Harrington-This made me take a closer look at bullying and how much being careless with your words can cause harm to others.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith-An insightful coming of age novel about growing up poor and learning the art of survival from a young age.


Good Grief by Lolly Winston-This touching novel makes you think of how precious life is and how easily loved ones can be taken away from you before you’re ready for them to go.

The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner-This book definitely doesn’t have mass appeal, but the story of the tragic Compson family stayed with me for years.

102 Minutes by Jim Dwyer and Kevin Flynn-A must read about the September 11th attacks.

5 comments:

  1. I liked the way you tied in today's anniversary to your list. Very thoughtful. Your comment about how a story stayed with you (The Sound and the Fury) is also interesting. It's funny how some books have that echo effect. Enjoyed reading your list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great list. I am gonna check out the ones I have not heard/read!

    Happy Reading!! Here is my Top Ten post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great list. I can't wait to read Speechless. :) WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice list... I have a feeling quite a few of these books would leave me with tears running down my cheeks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw My Sister's Keeper when I was in London a few days ago, but I've never read the book.

    Columbine is one of my favorite reads... a truly terrifying book.

    ReplyDelete